Mouse pointer not changing to crosshairs and selecting smart points

Over multiple versions and hardware setups I've had this glitch occur almost daily. It occurs when attempting to hover my mouse pointer over an item (smart point/blue box) that should turn the pointer to crosshairs as it's identifying and selecting a smart point such as the end of a line or wall, a corner of an object, or just about everything. My smart points and all pertinent snaps are on. I do feel this is not setting-related, because eventually this glitch goes back to normal if I reset my Mac a couple times and just wait. Any input is welcomed. Oh yeah, and ALL other applications are turned off, and this glitch occurs across all files open when it's happens. I'm on v2023 w/ a 2023 M2.

First attachment shows the glitch when trying to select a wall and the other working properly; the key being the mouse crosshairs don't appear or select. The other show it functioning normally.

Thanks!

I have had this problem for ages, at least with VW 2024, but I think also 2023.

Been working with VW support in Australia, no solution.

My current workaround is to select menu item Tools>Workspaces and select the workspace you currently use. This seems to reload things.

First I started thinking it had something to do with Mac operating system or video card on my Mac Mini

I think we now have a bug.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
10 hours ago, CW2020 said:

eventually this glitch goes back to normal if I reset my Mac a couple times and just wait

Hello,

Can you please explain what you mean by "...reset my Mac a couple times and just wait'? Do you mean restart out of interest? Also, do you have multiple monitors?

Thanks,

Peter

• Like 1

I see this same thing on my MacBook Laptop M3, Sonoma, but perhaps some differences.  When this begins, the screen icons like the Flyover tool don't change from the pointer icon.  They still work, but you need to know when the snap to objects is activated, so this is problematic.

Normally, a program restart fixes that and all the other Memory handling problems.  For some Memory problems I have had to do a complete restart, which leads me to believe the memory problems exist between VW and Sonoma......or.....Unified Memory.

I like 2024, but I have never had a Vectorworks/MiniCad release that has fought me so much.

Thanks for the correction, Peter. I meant restart. But it in truth I don't know if my restarting my Mac multiple times over a given period is what's correcting the issue: Post hoc ergo proctor hoc... afterwards therefore because of. Logical, but rarely true

And yes, I run (2) monitors and generally have my laptop open. Interesting you ask, because I had another graphics related issue in recent years that I considered being a result of the monitors.

Edited by CW2020

VIRTUALENVIRONS. My issues began in v2022 and have continued in v2023... I haven't drafted much in 2024. It's disappointing as I mad big investment in purchasing my 2023 M2. The vast majority of my work is construction documents (nothing 3D/rendering heavy) and I have multiple routine glitches (for lack of a better word) occur. Thanks for the input!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Restarting the computer will flush the memory so that is why it is fine for a while. Tech support is often a process of elimination, so I'd unplug one monitor, restart the machine and see how it goes. That's what I've asked James to do next, having tried a lot of other things.

You might also try going to the Vectorworks Preferences>Display and turn OFF 'Accelerate Graphics' and see if that fixes the issue. These are just some things to try but you should definitely contact technical support which you can do by going to the Customer Portal and at the top click support and fill out the form.

Cheers,

Peter