Data Manager - Adding additional lighting device parameters

Hi all,

I'm delving into the Data Manager for the first time.  

The task:  We're working in Rep with different gels/colours/filters in lights for different acts of the same show.   This informations needs to be displayed on the plan, as well as counted for prep.

I've added 3 new parameters to the lighting devices in Spotlight preferences: Act 1 colour, Act 2 colour, Act 3 colour. Screenshot2024-02-14at10_18_06.thumb.png.6ffb0d8b7ee1719bed2364babb7b63fc.png

I can use data tags to display this information in the plan.  

I was then going to use the data manager to combine these fields into the original colour field ('Act 1'+'Act 2'+'Act 3), so Lightwright would be able to produce a colour count.  

But the additional parameters do not appear in the Data Manager window when lighting device is selected

Screenshot2024-02-14at10_19_10.thumb.png.817b2c3099a160aea65a82af62a382ac.png

Is it possible to get new lighting device parameters to show in the Data Manager, or are these fields not available? 

Or can anyone suggest a better way to tackle this problem?

Any thoughts or suggestions most welcome!

Cheers,

Cookie

Hi Scott,

On further investigation, it seems the issue is specific to the file I was working on.

I made a test file to share on the forum, and the new fields are available in the Data Manager in the test file:

Screenshot2024-02-14at14_43_31.thumb.png.5e27010039c3140ff9e159efe094e2bb.png

I've messaged you a link to the active file with the issue.

Cheers,

Cookie 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Cookie,
Often times making a new file using the fresh build of VW fixes many things. When updating old files into more recent builds of VW can create stray or broken relationships.

I'm glad you got it working.
If you copy/paste the items from the new file into the old one, it may jump-start/fix the issue. Importing all the layers from the old file into a fresh file can also be helpful.

Concerning the Data Manager: for me, a reload of the file fixes the missing data problem.

You don't need the Data Manager for Lightwright to see a field as the name of a Gel and count it accordingly. You need to tell Lightwright that the Field you have imported is a Colour. Under Setup > Column Names and Definitions, select the "Colour" fields you have imported from the Lighting Device, and under Data Type, Choose Color.

After that, you manage the Colour in the normal way. If you want to make a Count of these "colour" fields, then you just need to run the Counting command and select the appropriate field and the appropriate colour count will be made.