Sending to Site Surface - Confirmation

Hi

A quick one this evening.

Just want to confirm that it is not possible to use Send to Surface on an Imported/Referenced Model. Tried it but it did not work and trying to use it on a Referenced Model is not mentioned in the Vectorworks list of items which can be sent to surface.

I have changed the 'Z' height to sit it on the Planar Pad.

Kind regards

Mike

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That's correct. The Site Model needs to be in the active file (not a reference) for the Send to Surface command to work.

I'm not sure why you are referencing the site model, but I would recommend a workflow where if you need to reference, you bring other geometry into the site model file. 

What are you sending to the surface? Tools like Hardscape can automatically "Drape" onto the modified surface, so don't need to be sent to surface.

The workflow for that is: Grade your site (using site modifiers such as pads or Grade objects), Create the Hardscape using your chosen object style. On the Hardscape properties on the Object Info palette, change the Site Modifier to Draped. 

Landscape Areas will also interact with the Site Model automatically - on the properties of the Landscape Area (on the Object Info palette), make sure you select the appropriate Site Model. 

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

The Site Model needs to be in the active file (not a reference)

Hi Tamsin

The Site Model is the active file.

The reference is the building I created which sits on the Site Model. I have referenced the building so that when I update the building, the Site File, (used for Planning), will update automatically.

Also, when I inserted the building using a Viewport on a Design Layer for the Building, it placed the Building miles away from the Site Model. This is because the Site Model is Geolocated, but how do I control where the referenced file appears when I do reference a file? I had to find the Building and then move it to where I needed it.

Mike

14 minutes ago, Michael Siggers said:

Also, when I inserted the building using a Viewport on a Design Layer for the Building, it placed the Building miles away from the Site Model. This is because the Site Model is Geolocated, but how do I control where the referenced file appears when I do reference a file? I had to find the Building and then move it to where I needed it.

When I use referenced DLVPs for the building models I model the buildings in georeferenced files as well

Thank you @Tom W.

Yeah, the Model of the Building is not Georeferenced so that makes sense. In this case, the model of the Facility was created before the location was confirmed by the Client.

Would be nice if there was an option to physically place the Design Layer Viewport though, once created, to save trying to find it in the Model. Maybe an "Insertion Point: Next Mouse Click?' option similar to when creating a 3D Symbol.

Mike

@Tom W.

Also, wanted to say a massive thankyou for your help over the last few days. Been absolutely brilliant.

I'm persisting with Vectorworks as I think the more I use it the easier it will become, (hopefully 🙂 ). Just damn difficult, and frustrating, at times, especially when working on live projects. Not the most user friendly software. Reminds me of learning AutoCAD many centuries ago 🙂 

Mike

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
39 minutes ago, Michael Siggers said:

Hi Tamsin

The Site Model is the active file.

The reference is the building I created which sits on the Site Model. I have referenced the building so that when I update the building, the Site File, (used for Planning), will update automatically.

Mike

To have them align correctly, the building file would also need to be georeferenced.

The reference will land at its coordinates from the original file, so if that isn't in the correct place, it will need to be moved. You can use the coordinates on the Object Info palette to move it precisely. But I would probably prefer the option of georeferencing the building file so that both files are using the same coordinate system.

• Like 1

Hi @Tamsin Slatter

Unfortunately when the Building was created, the Client had not chosen a location.

I did think it would be good to have an option of where to place the file, when using a Design Layer Viewport, similar to the option when creating a 3D Symbol. ALong the lines of "Insertion Point: next Mouse Click?", if not wanting to use the Georeferenced location.

Mike

1 minute ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Is it the building that you are trying to send to the surface?

If so, I would probably instead put the building on its own design layer and change the elevation of that layer to the desired level.

This is what I did. I had to find it first, but then used move by points and then elevation, (Z Height).

MIke

2 hours ago, Michael Siggers said:

@Tom W.

Also, wanted to say a massive thankyou for your help over the last few days. Been absolutely brilliant.

I'm persisting with Vectorworks as I think the more I use it the easier it will become, (hopefully 🙂 ). Just damn difficult, and frustrating, at times, especially when working on live projects. Not the most user friendly software. Reminds me of learning AutoCAD many centuries ago 🙂 

Mike

I would definitely advise persisting. I think it was probably a full year before I really knew what I was doing + could tackle proper projects. Crazy really, but worthwhile. It will all start falling into place for you sooner or later, you just need to persevere + be patient but if you are interested in even half of what VW is capable of it will be worth it I think.

• Like 4