Selection Behavior in Vectorworks

Hello everyone,

I would like to share an issue I have been facing recently as I adapt to the selection tools in Vectorworks. As a regular user of another CAD software, I have noticed significant differences in the selection approach between the two programs. For instance, in the previous software, I was accustomed to the "Left Right" and "Right Left" selection methods, where simply touching an object would select it entirely (Left-Right), or the entire object needed to be selected manually for it to be marked (Right Left). These methods provided a quick and agile selection experience.

However, while using Vectorworks, I have encountered inconsistent selection behaviour. Sometimes, touching one side of the object immediately selects it entirely, without the need to manually select the entire object beforehand, resembling the "Left Right" method I am accustomed to. However, in other instances, it is necessary to manually select the entire object for it to be marked, similar to the "Right Left" method.

This inconsistency in selection has been a challenge for me, and I would like to better understand the reason behind it. I have attached a screenshot illustrating the problem I have been facing. As you can see, in the object on the right side of the image (which was fully modelled in VW), I only touch a part of it, yet it becomes fully selected.

image.thumb.png.e0c043557c52f99aa15b31ca3e01da36.png 

If anyone has encountered a similar situation or has suggestions to understand this, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

I am open to any suggestions or tips that can help improve my experience with selection tools.

Thank you in advance for your attention and support.

Best regards,

Cristiano

I can't replicate that behavior with the partial selection, so not sure what is going on there - though it is orange and not yellow, so it looks like maybe its selection previewing? 

Usually, you have to have the whole object selected to grab it.  If you hold ALT while drawing your marquee, anything that the marquee partially touches becomes selected too. L to R or R to L is meaningless in VW.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

I can't replicate that behavior with the partial selection, so not sure what is going on there - though it is orange and not yellow, so it looks like maybe its selection previewing? 

Usually, you have to have the whole object selected to grab it.  If you hold ALT while drawing your marquee, anything that the marquee partially touches becomes selected too. L to R or R to L is meaningless in VW.

Thank you so much, Understand ALT "is the key", PERFECT 😄

In the attached file you have the objects that I use for the print screen. If you want try to understand the behavior.

Selected Tools.vwx

I can't comment on the particular problem this user is having, and I do recognize that VW uses different selection conventions from other CAD software.  However, having used this program almost daily for almost 30 years, I can assure you that the selection procedures are consistent and effective.  I urge the user to experiment, read the online manual, and figure out how to apply VW procedures.

• Like 3
On 2/6/2024 at 5:26 AM, Cristiano Alves said:

As a regular user of another CAD software

I agree completely with @P Retondo.  I also think most of the frustration I read from new users is when they try to map their previous software's methods on to VW.  Forget what you know, and to take a look at VW University beginner courses and the VW Essentials webinar.  

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Basic1/Selecting_objects.htm

• Like 2
On 2/7/2024 at 11:47 PM, P Retondo said:

I can't comment on the particular problem this user is having, and I do recognize that VW uses different selection conventions from other CAD software.  However, having used this program almost daily for almost 30 years, I can assure you that the selection procedures are consistent and effective.  I urge the user to experiment, read the online manual, and figure out how to apply VW procedures.

For sure, you are right.
The Alt Key is great.