Create Mesh Fencing - Any Help would be appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
9 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Or you can change the fence to be Unstyled so that you can change all the parameters. This is in the pulldown where you set/choose the Style for the object in the OIP (Object Info Palette)

After you get it set the way you want you can then create a style from the unsettled object to make it easier to transfer the settings to other objects.

The above applies to all Styled objects, not just fences.

Absolutely right - if you learn about Object Styles, you will be able to apply that knowledge to so many objects in Vectorworks.
https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2024/eng/VW2024_Guide/Symbols/Concept_Plug-in_object_styles.htm

And here's a tutorial on Vectorworks University:
https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=224

And here is a webinar on the Fence tool which I hope you will find useful. In this webinar, Katarina shows a mesh fence. 
https://university.vectorworks.net/course/view.php?id=2926

The Resource Manager contains many example Fence Object styles that you can use for reference also. It does include mesh examples that may help you. On my Resource Manager, I set the filter to Symbols/Plug-In Objects and type fence into the search box. You can also access these
image.png

You can also access these resources directly from within the Fence tool, using the Resource Selector:
image.png

• Like 1

Hi @Tamsin Slatter

Yes, I did watch the videos.

Attached a a screenshot of the fence I created, by choosing a similar Style, Making Unstyled and then creating a new Style. Seemed to work ok. Have not tried inserting any gates in yet, but will probably do those manually as one of them is a Sliding Gate.

One thing I could not do is assign a Class to the Fence in the OIP, as this was greyed out.

Mike

1 minute ago, Michael Siggers said:

One thing I could not do is assign a Class to the Fence in the OIP, as this was greyed out.

Although I have just done this in the Object Style in Resource Manager. Would it not be simpler to just be able to use the OIP to assign the Class? Seems a bit convoluted having to assign the class in the Object Style through Resource Manager.

MIke

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Class is also a property that can be set By Style or By Instance. 
The benefit of making it By Style is that you can have consistent classing without having to think about it. 

The benefit of making it By Instance is that you can set a different class whenever you use the style. So you can choose whichever best suits your workflow.

• Like 2