Project Sharing Assistance

I am working on a project file, shared on Dropbox and we have been getting the “reset the project file” notification. I have reset it, the lead administrator has reset it, and I am still getting this message. Any suggestions?

I am guessing it is time to start using the cloud service for hosting. 

IMG_3406.jpeg

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

This means something funny is going on with the file. Anyone who sees this, it means their working file has seen the project go forward in time normally (refreshed, pulled in some new changes), and then magically go backward in time (goes to refresh, sees the project file is now at an older state).

This means a person or process has manually put an older version of the project in place. No one should ever be manipulating the project files at the OS level like this, so that's one thing you need to track down and make sure it doesn't happen again.  

If you see this again after a reset, maybe someone didn't follow the guidance of discarding working files and creating new ones. Or maybe the bad thing was done a second time. If all else fails, you may need to save to a VWX file and set the project up all over again. But you really need to know who is copying and rearranging files and stop that.

• Like 1

The fact that you say you are "working on a project file" makes me suspicious that you are someone else is not using a working file but rather actually using the project file to do your work.

You should always check out and work on a Working file and never the project file.

On 1/17/2024 at 11:46 AM, Pat Stanford said:

The fact that you say you are "working on a project file" makes me suspicious that you are someone else is not using a working file but rather actually using the project file to do your work.

You should always check out and work on a Working file and never the project file.

Pat, sorry for the confusion. “Working on a project file” meaning that we are using a project file. Everyone is indeed using their working files. I can imagine that someone has used an older working file once the project file was reset which can cause issues, just not sure how this happens in the first place. 

On 1/17/2024 at 11:04 AM, Rick Berge said:

This means something funny is going on with the file. Anyone who sees this, it means their working file has seen the project go forward in time normally (refreshed, pulled in some new changes), and then magically go backward in time (goes to refresh, sees the project file is now at an older state).

This means a person or process has manually put an older version of the project in place. No one should ever be manipulating the project files at the OS level like this, so that's one thing you need to track down and make sure it doesn't happen again.  

If you see this again after a reset, maybe someone didn't follow the guidance of discarding working files and creating new ones. Or maybe the bad thing was done a second time. If all else fails, you may need to save to a VWX file and set the project up all over again. But you really need to know who is copying and rearranging files and stop that.

Rick, 

thanks. I can imagine that someone may have neglected to trash their working file after a reset and seeing an issue. That does make sense. What I don’t understand is what causes that in the first place. This particular project has been a bit of a hassle for some reason. 

I've also been having this issue with Dropbox and Project Sharing, though not all the time. What I've noticed is that whenever this error message appears, it has been preceded by what seems like a Dropbox syncing error. When working correctly, the Project File on Dropbox should be edited by the Working File when work is 'committed'. In the Dropbox file history, this will show as the Project File being edited by the user who owns that Working File.

Occasionally, however, rather than the Project File being 'edited' when it syncs to the cloud, it will be deleted and immediately replaced by a new file with the same name. Anyone who does not have a Working File open at that moment seems unaffected by this; they can open their working file, refresh their drawing, and proceed as if nothing happened. But anyone who happens to have layers or objects checked out at the time this hiccup occurs, will get the error you're showing the next time they try to commit their work to the Project File.

Sadly, while I've been able to identify this cause of the error, I haven't been able to figure out WHY Dropbox will sometimes sync via this "delete-and-replace" method rather than simply editing the file in place, so a solution remains beyond my grasp (which is why I'm on the forums searching this topic!). There is one user on my current project (the only PC user) for whom this Syncing error happens every time. For the rest of us, it happens rarely, but it seems no user is immune.

It sounds like one of your users has something going on that is changing the project file which is causing the sync to push the new version to everyone else. Is anyone running some other backups software on the same files as are on dropbox?  Time Machine should not do it, but somehow something like that makes me suspicious.

On 1/23/2024 at 3:19 PM, dvanheel said:

I've also been having this issue with Dropbox and Project Sharing, though not all the time. What I've noticed is that whenever this error message appears, it has been preceded by what seems like a Dropbox syncing error. When working correctly, the Project File on Dropbox should be edited by the Working File when work is 'committed'. In the Dropbox file history, this will show as the Project File being edited by the user who owns that Working File.

Occasionally, however, rather than the Project File being 'edited' when it syncs to the cloud, it will be deleted and immediately replaced by a new file with the same name. Anyone who does not have a Working File open at that moment seems unaffected by this; they can open their working file, refresh their drawing, and proceed as if nothing happened. But anyone who happens to have layers or objects checked out at the time this hiccup occurs, will get the error you're showing the next time they try to commit their work to the Project File.

Sadly, while I've been able to identify this cause of the error, I haven't been able to figure out WHY Dropbox will sometimes sync via this "delete-and-replace" method rather than simply editing the file in place, so a solution remains beyond my grasp (which is why I'm on the forums searching this topic!). There is one user on my current project (the only PC user) for whom this Syncing error happens every time. For the rest of us, it happens rarely, but it seems no user is immune.

That is the same thing I have been seeing.  The process is exacerbated greatly when a user is on a slow internet connection.  On a few occasions I have actually seen the temp file that VWX creates (.tmp perhaps?  I don't recall), which really should only happen in the background from what I understand.   I've stared at my dropbox folder and have seen it pop up for a split second and then disappear.  On one occasion it popped up, replacing the .vwxp file and never left.  That's how i figured out there was such a thing.  Regardless, we seem to be moving along ok at this point.  There are a lot of users on this file which also creates a bit of a challenge.