3-D viewport?

Jonezer

Question

Hello. I have tried (and failed) several times to insert a viewport of an orthographic object into a sheet layer. You know, because I want an overhead, front, profile, and

orthographic view for working drawings. (Or is the correct time "isometric"?) I suspect it can't be done, as one is in 3-D space and will not translate into plan view.

Is there a simple workaround that doesn't involve redrafting each object in faux-3-D on a design layer? Thanks for any help. 

DESK .jpeg

4 answers to this question

If you have a 3D object on a Design Layer, just set the design layer view to the view you want and use the View Menu:Create Viewport command and in the dialog boxes tell it which sheet layer you want the viewport on.  After the viewport is created you will be switched to the sheet layer. Switch back to the Design Layer and repeat for the other views you want viewports of.

If you draw a 2D object and leave it selected when you create the viewport you will be asked if you want to use that object as a crop for the viewport. If there are parts that you don't want to show in the viewport (like the shelf behind the desk) this can be useful. 

If you don't make the crop object before you create the viewport you and right click on the Viewport and Choose Edit (or Edit Crop) and add a single 2D crop object.

In you want to add dimensions or annotations at the scale of the viewport (almost always), right click on the viewport and Edit Annotations (or Edit and choose from the dialog box).

HTH

• Like 2