Equipment Rack 3D

tk_

Is it possible to create a new Rack Style?

I wanted to basically just have one with rack rails and no enclosure; quite often we will design and build a custom racks either from Birch plywood or metal fabricators, so I would like tie these drawings and details into one, whilst utilising all the ConnectCad rack planning features.

Thank you

I've been thinking about this as well - I'd like to do some that look like the flightcases we manufacture. We also design quite a few box steel rack frame as well. As a fully parametric plug-in object rather than a symbol-driven plug-in object, I don't think this is immediately possible, but need to mess around with it a little more.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
16 hours ago, tk_ said:

I wanted to basically just have one with rack rails and no enclosure

That's what you get if you set the rack to Console style with Slope=0. Play with the side cheek thickness to meet your needs. You can place this inside a 3D symbol of your flight case and drop your equipment in in the normal way.

Conrad

8 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

That's what you get if you set the rack to Console style with Slope=0. Play with the side cheek thickness to meet your needs. You can place this inside a 3D symbol of your flight case and drop your equipment in in the normal way.

Conrad

What's the trick to getting the nested 3D Rack to function please, Conrad? I've taken a 3D symbol with our rack geometry and nested a 3D Rack Object inside it. This makes it a hybrid symbol. Once I exit editing the 3D component, Equipment Items won't drop in to the rack. I'll PM you the file.

Thanks

Simon

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Simon,

Just for the others watching this thread. Putting the Rack object inside the 3D flight case symbol does not work for 2 reasons: 1. each symbol instance will have the same Rack ID, 2. the Equipment Item object/tool does not look inside symbols or groups. Given that it searches for Racks dynamically as it hovers over objects, looking inside group or symbols would probably result in an unacceptable slowdown.

As things stand the Rack object and any 3D symbol representing say a flight-case have to both be top-level objects. And then everything works pretty nicely IMO.

Conrad

2 minutes ago, Conrad Preen said:

As things stand the Rack object and any 3D symbol representing say a flight-case have to both be top-level objects. And then everything works pretty nicely IMO.

Thanks Conrad, that totally makes sense. It's just when you said "You can place this inside a 3D symbol" I wondered if something else was going on.

I can see us doing more with using the specific Canford/Penn install racks or our own touring racks we manufacture, and it would be nice if there were some way to bind these, but it's not a big deal to just move them together.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...