VW2024 terrible lag on second monitor

Greg Mitchell

Question

Just upgraded to 2024.  Everything I do, i.e. zooming in and out with the scroll wheel has a 1-2 second delay.  I didn't have this problem on 2023.  It doesn't happen on my laptop screen.

I'm on a Macbook Pro M2 Max running Sonoma 14.1.2

I have tried connecting through my USB doc and directly to HDMI.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

Hi I got this Lag as well. Thought it was a problem that my system update to sonoma was activated, before the release of servicepack 2.

But still got the problem again. I'm Running Vectorworks 2024 on a Macbook pro 14" M1, with Sonoma 14.2.1. 

I've got two external monitors connected via HDMI=>USB-C connectors. 

I hope you can help in this matter.

kind regards 

Marco

Yes , haven't found a solution yet and it is making working with any external display and Vectorworks untenable.  I also teach in a classroom where I use a projector as a second display and it has made it almost impossible to teach Vectorworks in that setting.  It only happens with Vectorworks, no other programs.  I hope I can find a solution other than reverting back to 2023 along with all of my students.  😞

Hi

I have the same problem but I'm still on 2023. I'm on a Macbook Pro Apple M3 Max, 36GB Ram and running Sonoma 14.1. Using a 4k monitor connected with HDMI.

I had the same problem on my old Macbook Pro 2019 which prompted me to upgrade. Immensely frustrating to still be in the same boat. I find that I can control the lag a little better if I make the Vectorworks window smaller on my external monitor instead of full screen. But running it on full screen bogs down the whole computer. I've attached a screenshot of my activity monitor with vectorworks acting up during scrolling and zooming then then a second screenshot with vectorworks on fullscreen on my external monitor but using chrome (to write this post), vectorworks in the background. You can see the windowserver is still hogging all the CPU. This is repeatable.

I hope there is an answer!

Regards,

Helena

Vectorworks full screen but running in background.png

Vectorworks not full screen scrolling and zooming.png

• Like 1

Noticing this in Vectorworks 2023 and 2024, don't even need a second screen for this to be an issue WindowServer maxxing out when using Vectorworks is very common in our office of over 40 staff. It is becoming a big issue. 

M1 MacBookPro 64GB. I also am having this problem on both 2023 and 2024. It seems to only be with VW open. I have tried swapping between USB-C and HDMI cables. It is to a 4K Monitor. It doesn't seem to make a difference if I run it in 4K of 1920x1080. Reducing the VW window from full screen to any size less than full screen seems to improve it but does not fix it entirely. It seems to be worse on more complex drawings. It completely goes away with the disconnection of an external monitor.

• Like 1

Vectorworks 2022 SP6

Macbook Pro M3 Pro 18GB

MacOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Asus ProArt 4K Display PA279CRV as main display connected over USB-C

Terrible lag when especially when dragging view when window fully maximised (not full screen), but improved when window slightly minimised. Also improved if the Macbook is closed without being extended display. Previously used 2020 M1 iMac and this starting to not feel like an upgrade.