Point Cloud coordinate problem.

Sunalcredo

Question

4 answers to this question

I have experienced the same when importing a point cloud into a georeferenced file. If I import it instead into a 'normal' file where the User Origin + Internal Origin are coincident + ensure that 'Center Import on Internal Origin' is enabled in the Import Point Cloud Options then everything is fine: all the points are present + correct + you don't get the bands where they're missing.

Note: in my experience it is not simply a matter of ensuring your Internal Origin is in the right place relative to the location of the point cloud. The only way to eradicate the stripy (missing) points phenomenon is to ensure that the point cloud is also centred on the User Origin. Basically you have to choose between georeferencing or having the point cloud display correctly. You aren't able to have both. That was my experience at least.

User origin:

Screenshot2023-12-28at15_43_48.thumb.png.960a6097bb338f4d6ac58b218443fef5.png

Internal origin:

Screenshot2023-12-28at15_42_57.png.39b405710c94628a1f9c27ee6729d07e.png

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Anders Blomberg said:

Unfortunately this seems to be a current flaw in VW. When importing georeferenced point clouds they always turn out this way. The very unfortunate solution for those of us who are absolutely dependent on proper georefencing is to import on internal origin and move it as well as you can manually afterwards. 

image.thumb.png.cce062473ea6526702577d28ac86e95f.png

Good to have it confirmed by someone else. I have complained to VW about this but never got anywhere.

I get my friendly surveyor to include a special datum point with known coordinates off to the side of the scan, allowing me to georeference the file after import then move the point cloud to that location. At it ends up at the exact correct location but crazy you have to go to these lengths. Defeats the whole point of georeferencing.

• Like 2