Plant Worksheet - How do I add more categories?

Hi Everyone,

I know the answer for this is simple (I think), but I can't make it work:

Below is my worksheet showing different plant categories, however I have a few plants under the category of Succulent, and I don't know how to get the Succulent category to show in the worksheet.

I have opened a few other similar topics and can confirm:

- My plants are all on same layer

- Database Headers is checked

- If I copy a new row in and right click edit criteria a dialog box opens stating "This criteria cannot be edited with the Criteria Dialog Box. You must edit the Vector script representation of the criteria using worksheet formula bar"

I am certain this must be an easy fix? All I need is additional categories to show.. oh and on the flip side, Climbers category is showing but I don't want it to.

Thanks

image.thumb.png.878515602189bdaf48b099993f11d40a.png

You need to make a new database header row, or you can change the climbers category so that looks for succulents. One of the  rows is giving you the title, but the database header row below it is counting up your climbers. For example, in row nine, you've got grasses and then in row ten you have a database header. The database header row has the arrow. You can change the code in the database header so that it looks for succulents rather than climbers.

you might find these movies useful: https://www.youtube.com/@archoncad/search?query=worksheet

• Like 1

Thanks Jonathan, I will have to go through a few of those vids. Another way of asking the question could be lets say I wanted to add 6 more categories; Climbers, Annuals, Natives, Small Trees etc etc, surely I wouldn't have to change the code for each one, as that's not how I got the other categories to appear?

Off to tennis shortly so will have another look later/tomorrow Aus time.

Cheers

OK, so I got it to work by doing as you said, manually changing the data in the formula to Succulent.

This I feel is not the complete (or efficient) solution, as for example say I had put in some climbers on a large plan and overlooked this, I may not realise, and that then relies on me double checking a whole drawing to make sure I've considered all categories. I just tested this, I added a vine (Vines category) recalculated the worksheet and it doesn't appear. 

Something not quite right here.

Easiest way to hide them is to set the row height to zero.  It will be fairly obvious when you have the worksheet in edit mode because the row numbers will be missing.

But you could still forget to unhide them before you print.

Possibly a second worksheet that would just show the count for each category so you can do a quick check on if the row needs to show or not.

Or if you really want to get fancy we can probably work up worksheet script that would set the row height to zero for unneeded categories.  But if you ever add new categories the script would likely not work for them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Here I am again with the same issue. My worksheet, and any worksheet template I bring in, is only picking up certain plant categories.

In this case the Category is Succulent that the worksheet isn't recognising. All the formulas are the same, and the category heading is the same as written in the plant style.

I feel like I am missing something, I've manually added the Succulent row and it has all the same formulas in place.

image.png.7d749990c71728314c480881befaeb08.png

OK, again I've fixed it! By manually copying the database formula from another category and changing it to Succulent in the equation. It's solved my issue, but still doesn't explain why when creating the worksheet its just not picking everything up.

Probably because there is something wrong with the criteria in the worksheet you are starting from.  

Post the Line 12 Criteria dialog box and we might be able to figure out what it is.  My personal guess is the Succulent is misspelled in the criteria..

Hi Pat,

Certainly not a spelling issue.

I've had a chat with Vectorworks Aus about this, and it appears the issue is my assumption that the VW worksheet will pick up every plant category automatically if I add a plant to a drawing.

Meaning that the worksheets do not include/count all category types, only what was included when the worksheets were built. Therefore I have to manually add the Succulent category to the worksheet, and monitor for any other plant categories that aren't in the standard worksheet list to make sure I also manually add these.

Now that I am clear on this I can monitor and adjust, I had just assumed the worksheet was a little more intuitive than that.

Cheers for all your help, every day I learn something new on this beast of a program!

• Like 1