VW - Twinmotion Texture / UV mapping problem

Maurice L

Question

Hello, I'm struggling with flipped objects/ symbols that do not show the Texture right or have some shadding problems on it. Does anyone know how to solve this? Import or Export options? I've tried multiple settings. in the image below you see 1 good mapping and the other one is flipped.

Same for the Shelving; colour needs to be white.

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 09.02.41.png

Screenshot 2023-12-15 at 09.19.24.png

4 answers to this question

1) Are some of those Vw parametric plug-in objects? If so there’s not much you can do to correct the face normals in Vw without converting the objects to groups and manually flipping the faces. 

If those are NURBS surfaces, you can show and reverse the surface normal direction.
See VW 2024 Help File : NURBS Surface Properties

Historically Vw has not been very good about creating PIO objects with correctly oriented face normals; See THIS THREAD for additional context. 

2) I’m guessing that the bottom slabs of stone countertops are simple extrudes, and the slabs on the left were created by mirroring the original 3D objects / symbols on the right. Mirroring 3D symbols will typically flip the face normals. To fix this in Vw, don’t mirror the 3D objects, but simply make a copy of them.

I do not know Twinmotion very well, but there is an option to create a two-sided material. Doing that, I believe, should fix the objects that have reversed face normals.

B635208C-3AFA-4928-A392-AD2DB2A845F3.jpeg.80a156ad37dc27e0a5ddab2cd0d2ac84.jpeg

• Like 2

Further to rDesign's answer.  I have also found that Mirroring an object in Vectorworks or " duplicate along a path" in some cases can have adverse effects with surface normals.  Programs like CINEMA 4D have a Backface culling mode that immediately shows you flipped polygons.  

As one sided polygons are used to gain speed, I would imagine that this is default in Twin Motion.

Thanks both for your answers. Yes they are flipped symbols and grouped objects. The problem is that sometimes we have thousands of objects or products inside and i cant always solve these..

I found out friday that export to Cinema 4D and then into Twinmotion instead of datasmith file works as well and solves the problem. I had only 1 texture issue afterwards but i can solve this.