Referenced Symbol with record attached

bjoerka

Question

I am using a referenced symbol that has a record format attached in the source file.

When it´s placed in my new drawing the records follow.

When i change an entry in the source document of that symbol it shows up that my reference is out of date.

After updating the reference i can see in the RM that the entry of the record has changed, but all symbols that are placed as instances of the referenced symbol still show the old entry in the record, that i changed.

Why does that entry not update automatically?

screenshot of the symbol in the RM 

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-14um10_49_12.png.e1da41117ce4402e54ecb279a346c9ab.png

this is the record entry after updating the reference

Bildschirmfoto2023-12-14um10_48_56.png.1f638d02793f1cdcc16aaeb1bd2ad444.png

Edited by bjoerka

2 answers to this question

If I read this correctly, this is normal behaviour for record data + symbol instances isn't it? The default field values attached to the symbol definition will apply to all new instances of that symbol only. You can't edit record values in existing symbol instances by editing the default values in the symbol definition. You need to do this using a worksheet.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. 

I expected this to work different. 

I was thinking, that when i reference a symbol from an external file (my led library) and the reference is out of date, that everything is updated.

I made a test in the library file. I inserted a symbol into the drawing and changed a value in the RM.

Then i dropped the symbol again. The new one has the new value, whereas the first keeps the old.

But when in doubleclick the first symbol and nothing is activated, in the data tab the new value can be seen?

So it seems, that when a symbol with predefined values is inserted it looses a kind of connection to the predefined set?

Edited by bjoerka