Internal origin and geolocated cad file import/referencing

DDD

HI all,

I have a question regarding handling cad file with geolocation information. I do the following procedures: 

a. when I see the "georeferenced file" is auto checked, I go to the advanced setting:

image.png.9a8bbc390c051a6ae005243305c869c1.png

b. I make sure the highlighted items are checked, then start referencing the dwg.

image.thumb.png.115ffe7adff9124521972771fcc8aa81.png

c. after importing/referencing, I turn on the geoimage and it looks good. The referenced drawing is on the corrected spot with correct user coordinates.  

image.png.b6004778cf73812ad3efeea246705c89.png

d. However the drawing ends up being far away from the internal origin

image.thumb.png.fe8b180dab86bbe041becd2e51dca2fb.png

Should I proceed with this or do something to fix the problem? I tried "center drawing on internal origin", but this will mess up the geolocation. Thanks in advance for your help!

48 minutes ago, DDD said:

HI all,

I have a question regarding handling cad file with geolocation information. I do the following procedures: 

a. when I see the "georeferenced file" is auto checked, I go to the advanced setting:

image.png.9a8bbc390c051a6ae005243305c869c1.png

b. I make sure the highlighted items are checked, then start referencing the dwg.

image.thumb.png.115ffe7adff9124521972771fcc8aa81.png

c. after importing/referencing, I turn on the geoimage and it looks good. The referenced drawing is on the corrected spot with correct user coordinates.  

image.png.b6004778cf73812ad3efeea246705c89.png

d. However the drawing ends up being far away from the internal origin

image.thumb.png.fe8b180dab86bbe041becd2e51dca2fb.png

Should I proceed with this or do something to fix the problem? I tried "center drawing on internal origin", but this will mess up the geolocation. Thanks in advance for your help!

Try using the Geolocate Tool to reset the Internal Origin. I think you will need to run 'Set User Origin to match the Georeferencing coordinate system' afterwards (Tools > Origin > User Origin...).

• Like 1

Have you changed/altered the Internal or User Origin of your drawing? If you haven't, and it is 0,0 then georeferenced drawings/objects will be located at their proper cartesian coordinates (x,y) which are almost always pretty far away from 0,0 since they are real world locations. 0,0 will be the origin point for the coordinate system you are working in (since there are many)

As @Tom W. suggested, use the Geolocate tool to reset the User Origin close to your project (we often do this at a predefined point for the project for coordinating between disciplines). It is also important to have a 0,0 close to your project to avoid issues with 3d viewing/graphics (caused by harder math with big numbers based on Internal Origin coordinates).The Internal Origin will always refer to the origin of the coordinate system, and you can change between User/Internal Origin as you need.

Go into the menu Tools->Origin->User Origin  .  

If you need to import/export a drawing with your project origin, a 0,0 close to the site, then you keep the drawing centred on the User Origin. If you need to export to an engineer, you often change back to Internal Origin to put the project in its real-world coordinates.