Working with building models in real-world orientation and elevation

Christiaan

20 hours ago, FranAJA said:

Hi Shorter,

I previously created a tutorial for my office on how to coordinate files between Revit and VW. Please find it attached. RVT_VW Coordination.pdf

Before addressing your concerns:

In Revit, 3D surveys always adhere to true north and original coordinates. However, this may differ from what you require. The surveyor can duplicate the file and place the project in the coordinates necessary for your purposes upon request. It's manageable with clear instructions.

Moving the project within Revit is perfectly fine; sheets and sections remain unaffected unless the internal origin is also relocated. To achieve this, there's a "Relocate Project" command available. A Revit user can move both the internal and project origins to the new point you specify. Some coordination is necessary, but it's entirely achievable.
Of course if the building will be moved from the internal origin, will be an issue. In that case they should relocate the project at the new position and export IFC using project point.

Hence, ensuring the coincidence of the project and internal origins is crucial.

Sorry to rain on this particular parade but this is not correct.  The step to 'centre on import' the DWG will not result in the origin in the location you have shown it and will result in a user origin being applied to the file, that is not controlled.

Perhaps we have missed a step where you have copied the data into a new file and trashed the import file in order to locate the data close to the internal origin in Vectorworks that following your example would not be still at 0,0 unless you had reset the user origin back to the internal origin?

This is once again quite a lot of steps that could be acheived in one page of text.

Hi Shorter, 

On 12/15/2023 at 8:12 PM, shorter said:

The step to 'centre on import' the DWG will not result in the origin in the location you have shown it and will result in a user origin being applied to the file, that is not controlled.

Could you please provide further detail on this point? I don't require any geospatial information from the survey; I just need it imported into the file. You do not need any control or keep geodata from the dwg, we are working in a local coordinate system.
Could you share your approach so that I can understand the nature of the issue you're facing?