Flickering

swordfern

Question

I have had off and on flickering problems since upgrading to VW 2022.

I'm currently using VW2023 SP7 on a 2021 MacBook Pro with 16GB.

I have issues with flickering in simple 2D display. The wort culprits are any elements with a fill or hatch, but also parts of symbols flashing on and off.

I have tried going back to 2d Legacy option, and removing bitmaps and trying to reduce file size, but even now with small files it's happening.

Below is an example of wall with hatch fill flickering.

My eyes and head can't take this much more. And i'm tired of troubleshooting.

Help!

• Sad 1

5 answers to this question

2 hours ago, KenAB94662 said:

Sadly, I suffer the same problem in my current v2023 / macOS 14 / M2 Pro. Mine include flickering of the Vectorworks cursor. Previously did not have any such problems in v2020 / macOS 11.7 / M1 Mac mini.

I wonder if it's related to macOS 14.

Flickering cursors have been known to be clearly caused by Photoshop being active in the background, for some unknown reason. I have seen it in several apps using user interactive cursors (such as VW). It sometimes helps to turn off PS or, in worst cases, to restart the computer. It's extremely annoying.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello All! 

This could be related with 3rd party tools running in the background especially if an older version of the tool is being used. But as well it could have something to do with the operating system update. As Mac OS installs drivers with the operating system updates I would recommend to consider updating the current operating system to its latest service pack. For example if you are running Mac OS 12.1 and you don't want to move to OS 13 or 14 just see if you can update your Mac OS 12.1 to 12.7.1.

For Mac OS 14 Sonoma users I would recommend to look out for Vectorworks updates which could solve the problem as well. We are compatible with the operating system, but until www.vectorworks.net/sysreq does not have 2024 and 2023 version updated with Mac OS 14 compatibility we can expect that you might run into something unexpected. If that happens there might not be a straight forward solution and I would highly recommend to contact local Vectorworks Technical Support team so that the problem could get reported and resolved as soon as possible. 

@swordfern if the operating system update does not resolve the issue I would recommend to get in touch with technical support team. You can do that through your customers portal support tab. You should find an option to Submit a support request form there. Please see the link below:

https://customers.vectorworks.net/

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

Flickering cursors have been known to be clearly caused by Photoshop being active in the background, for some unknown reason. I have seen it in several apps using user interactive cursors (such as VW). It sometimes helps to turn off PS or, in worst cases, to restart the computer. It's extremely annoying.

Thanks but I don't have Photoshop. I also periodically restart anyway (for Google folder connection issues). And the problem in VW persists regardless.

It's a good clue though. Perhaps it's caused by another similar app that uses interactive cursor? But how to tell? I often concurrently run Mail, Slack, Quicken, Calculator, Thinkorswim, Numbers, Google Chrome, and a surveillance cam app. I don't think any of them have interactive cursor.