Control-E suddenly stops creating Extrudes

MGuilfoile

Question

In VW2023SP7, Yesterday, and for over the last 12 months using VW in Windows, Control-E has been the shortcut for the Extrude command. This morning when I went back to the same file I was working on yesterday, this was no longer the case. Yes, I know I'm supposed to shut down Windows every day, but I just can't get into that habit after being in on the Mac OS for decades. So, the file in question was never closed from yesterday. It has nothing to do with this file, anyway, since the same thing happens with a new, blank file. Has anyone seen this? Is it yet another weird characteristic of Windows 10 left running for too long? Can I fix it? By the way, other hot keys seem to work fine.

Thanks,

MH Brown

2 answers to this question

First step is to restart VW.  If that does not fix it then restart Windows.

After that you will know a lot more about what is causing the problem.

The shortcut is part of your workspace, so unless you accidentally changed workspaces, the shortcut should not have changed.

Anything new on the machine that could be grabbing the keystroke before VW?

Thanks, for the tips. I'll try the restart routines and hope that fixes it for good. I can't restart every time I want to extrude something, of course. Sometimes I come back to my desk in the morning (I work from home) to find that Windows has shut down and restarted itself overnight, waiting for my password. Though I don't care for that kind of passive/aggressive attitude from a piece of hardware, I've always thought it was harmless. Maybe it is monkeying around with my workflow. That said, nothing happens when I am in the Windows "Finder" and try the Ctrl-E, so it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Occam's Razor would say this is just Windows slipping a bit...again...since I never see this on my MacBook Pro running the same software.

Thanks again for the quick tips! What a great forum!

MH Brown