How to export a points file from vectorworks?

I have a set of 244 2D [encl. with bound box loci selected to highlight area], (3D is an option I have as well) locus points and a single closed 2D polygon - in its own class and the locus points likewise in their own class. I want to export the points as a cloud of x,y points in this format:

1378385.1650620073,4938850.9892900344 [and with a ,0 for the 3D version - I don't need heights for this]

What I want to achieve is a txt / csv / tsv type file, with a list of x,y,z I can then hand build into a GPX file to import to my gps.

The points are currently simply 2D (or 3D) loci, and do not have record info so I can’t export to .shp (which is a bit silly of Nemet as any GIS will import very simple files). Neither 2D or 3D loci export to .dxf.

This is a lot of kerfuffle for what is one of the worlds most basic and essential spatial data formats.

I tried exporting as script file and I got the loci but 258 instead of the 228 that I have in my drawing

I've converted my field edge and bounding box to 3D loci so I can verify against georef space.

If it matters the file is georeferenced to EPSG2193 (a standard New Zealand datum).

How to export 2D or 3D loci as points Q.JPG

How about making a worksheet with the X and Y Coordinates and then copy/pasting the data into whatever file format you need?

Does the sort order of the points matter? If it does then you will need to be very careful to place the loci in the correct order so the Stacking Order is correct.

It would also be relatively simple to write a Vectorscript that would write a text file of the points. But again, stacking order could be a big complication.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

How about making a worksheet with the X and Y Coordinates and then copy/pasting the data into whatever file format you need?

Does the sort order of the points matter? If it does then you will need to be very careful to place the loci in the correct order so the Stacking Order is correct.

It would also be relatively simple to write a Vectorscript that would write a text file of the points. But again, stacking order could be a big complication.

Thanks Pat, that led me to search: export X Y Coordinates script -"lightwright"site:.forum.vectorworks.net

and I found this from 2001 and the second script seems to work well and corrects for the page orgin shift issues with 3D loci. 

And the two encl images looking showing position of the X Y pair are still correct after export.

Interesting that the script un-rounds the number in the OI.

I don't yet know if sort order matters.

I've since made another set of points at 10m intervals as it simplifies visualy, and still dense enough for field work.

Next I'll build the .gpx as per openstreetmap's page and see how it works.

X export 3D loci as points.JPG

Y export 3D loci as points.JPG

On 11/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, Pat Stanford said:

Glad you found something.  I hope it works out for you. 🙂

Hi Pat, Thanks, still not there. I now need to convert the X and Y coordinates to decimal degrees (so my GPS can ingest them) and wouldn't know where to start on that, I do not know if there is an option or way to export from VW.

The writer of the 2001 VW xyz export script I posted above hasn't been here since 2003, but do you think it would be possible to modify that script so it exported in decmal degrees? As it's a seriously difficult problems doing that as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...