Attach record to symbol and have all instances of that symbol update?

It doesn't.

A when a Symbol Instance is created, it inherits the records and fields that are attached to the Symbol Definition. But there is not a permanent link between the Instance and the Definition. Changes to the Records/Fields attached to the Definition do not impact the already exisitng Symbol Instances.

You should be able to use the Custom Modification command in the Tools menu to change the field values of all the instances at once.

Or duplicate the symbol under a new name, attach the record and then Replace all the existing Symbol Instances with the "new' symbol. I think the Record should follow with the replace.

I don't think I have been very clear. If I have not, ask again and I will try to give a better explanation.

2 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

It doesn't.

A when a Symbol Instance is created, it inherits the records and fields that are attached to the Symbol Definition. But there is not a permanent link between the Instance and the Definition. Changes to the Records/Fields attached to the Definition do not impact the already exisitng Symbol Instances.

You should be able to use the Custom Modification command in the Tools menu to change the field values of all the instances at once.

Or duplicate the symbol under a new name, attach the record and then Replace all the existing Symbol Instances with the "new' symbol. I think the Record should follow with the replace.

I don't think I have been very clear. If I have not, ask again and I will try to give a better explanation.

I completely understand. Thanks @Pat Stanford

This is what I'm having trouble with. When I use the Attach Record... command to a symbol in the RM I get this dialog box. That's really what I want, but it seems it does not work with referenced symbols. If I go to the RM referenced symbol in the destination file and use the Attach Record... command there, it will attach the record but I cannot edit the value. To edit the value I have to edit that field in the worksheet. I wish this was simpler. I spent hours last night trying to figure out how it works. 

Screenshot2023-11-06at10_47_05AM.png.41b06f26fd635b6319f2caf2551e4a86.pngScreenshot2023-11-05at8_55_28PM.thumb.png.5cbec5ebbfcb7a35a566ec9f6156d1fb.png

I did some more experimenting with the Attach Record... command. As I said above, it works to attach records to referenced symbols when the command is used in the destination file, but I can't edit the record value in the Attach Record... command, I can edit the value in the worksheet. I can use the Attach Record... command in the RM to symbols in the current drawing and that works, and I can edit the value either in the Attach Record... dialog box or the OIP. I cannot delete a record from a symbol using the Attach Record... command. I wish this worked with referenced symbols.

Edited by Bruce Kieffer