New Rack View - Labeling Backward

ryanww

I'm on the fence on how this whole new 3d rack layout works. When I flipped the racks up on end in the viewport, the labels go wonky on things. They flip back and forth between seeing the rack's front and back, so the label almost always shows as backward.

Maybe someone can make a short video recapping the whole new rack experience and on how to properly export views from the layout views onto sheets with viewports. 

The help files for this whole redo are pretty useless in my opinion. I had to figure a lot of things out just by playing with it. 

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 7.14.56 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@ryanww thank you for raising this. We will sort it out as soon as we are able to reproduce the problem. But I have to ask for your understanding here. We have to progress. And in some cases like this one, that involves rebuilding old workflows from the ground up. Inevitably there will be some problems that remain to be fixed. These teething troubles do not make the entire effort worthless. Let's work together to find out where the difficulties lie and resolve them.

Conrad

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov @Conrad Preen sorry, didn't get an email that you had replied. 

Attached is a slimmed-down file with just the rack views. There is only one sheet layer with this, so you can spot it right away. 

And I understand. But as feedback, it's rough on the user end when there really are no details on the new releases, especially when there is a drastic change like this. Another point is that while ConnectCad is just lumped in with spotlight, there isn't an easy way to search materials between the two. It's an entirely different workspace, so it's always been odd that it's not an independent category on the training video side. 

VW Test.vwx

• Like 1

Thanks for the file and feedback @ryanww!

The problem with your file is that your viewports are set to have Wireframe rendering. This means that you can see through objects and what you see as flipped texts is actually the names of the equipment on the other side of the rack and the label on the other side of the rack. You can modify the viewport to hide the other side equipments by hiding the class CC-Equipment-Rear in your case (or front if you have a rear detail view) but you cannot hide the other label of the rack.

If you use HiddenLine rendering you will not have such problems.

On 11/5/2023 at 1:14 AM, ryanww said:

Another bug. If I have a rack tray (love that!) that is resized with equipment on it, the shelf shrinks from the bottom to top. Devices remain the same size, but don't move up.

- Currently we do not support equipment item update on rack frame resize, as we expect the equipment to be mounted in the rack when it is finalized. The workaround for you for now would be to manually reinsert the equipment items in the correct slots after the resize. I will add this to our wishlist database for consideration.

On 11/4/2023 at 11:21 PM, ryanww said:

Another bug to add -- coping and pasting a rack wipes the rack layout. Copying from a backup file of the same rack brings it in with the same layout, but the devices are not linked to the schematic devices.

- Can you share a screen recording showing this, as I am not really sure what exactly are your steps?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

@ryanww I'm generally not so crazy about the idea of equipment automatically resizing if the container (rack or frame) is changed. Equipment items model real-world stuff and our push is towards having these defined by the manufacturers. If a piece of equipment doesn't fit, then resizing it automatically in the CAD world might cover up a problem that will reveal itself in the real world. That my thinking behind this.

Conrad

• Like 1

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Here is a video showing the copy and paste. I messed up the first bit, sorry, but 2nd attempt shows the rack layout get reset if the rack gets copied and pasted. Originally I did this because I made a new layout layer and so I needed to move it to the other layer. I just cut and pasted. Even here, I cut and pasted, and the layout didn't come with it. 

48 minutes ago, ryanww said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov Here is a video showing the copy and paste. I messed up the first bit, sorry, but 2nd attempt shows the rack layout get reset if the rack gets copied and pasted. Originally I did this because I made a new layout layer and so I needed to move it to the other layer. I just cut and pasted. Even here, I cut and pasted, and the layout didn't come with it. 

I think you forgot to upload the video

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov sorry - link didn't paste.

#1 - https://watch.screencastify.com/v/QBuYk4357PsoAnNYpXcb

#2 - https://watch.screencastify.com/v/OB7NVwvyMmtPCksxtqk8

I added a second video too. In the second, I had deleted the rack and pasted the rack from a backup. It keeps the layout in tact. But the items aren't associated, even though they have the same name. I can temporarily change the name then back to the original name, and that re-links the rack item to the schematic item.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ryanww said:

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov sorry - link didn't paste.

#1 - https://watch.screencastify.com/v/QBuYk4357PsoAnNYpXcb

#2 - https://watch.screencastify.com/v/OB7NVwvyMmtPCksxtqk8

I added a second video too. In the second, I had deleted the rack and pasted the rack from a backup. It keeps the layout in tact. But the items aren't associated, even though they have the same name. I can temporarily change the name then back to the original name, and that re-links the rack item to the schematic item.

Thanks, so the problem is with Copy&Paste and Cut&Paste. Thanks for reporting, I will log a bug about this.