Questions to ask when receiving DWGs?

Hi - I was excited to see the title of this blog post: https://blog.vectorworks.net/ask-yourself-these-questions-when-collaborating-with-dwg-files?utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=279594403&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-98VYRvjWXA-6ZyNaWNa0vAQwvAYNdh0PoVJRlAqMXhKe90dIA-2R1FxnG1FFFxDmKoXp2I_nk63At8Z0qqQJQ_ne-myI03KAUovD_ROrNl1JkYanY&utm_source=hs_email

But I still don't feel we have a definitive set of questions that we can send off to people we're expecting DWGs from/delivering them to. Wondering if the forum can collaborate to refine a list!

Here are the headline q's from the blog post, re-worded as though I were sending out:

Points of general understanding:

1. Will we receive the file once, or will it be a continuous back-and-forth process? How many data exchanges are we expecting - how often will we receive/you require updated files?

2. What is the purpose of the information we’ll be exchanging?

3. How will our information be used, what is the important information to include?

Specifics:

4. What software and version are you using?

5. What are the DWG drawing units?

6. What is the type of information we’ll be exchanging? Will it be 2D drawings and/or 3D models?

7. Is the file georeferenced and, if so, which coordinate reference system is being used?

At point 3., I think perhaps we need to make suggestions (e.g. Do you require hatches / line weights? Is it helpful for us to separate out layers into individual exports? Other?)

At point 7., I think there is much greater detail that we need to understand how to ask for, in DWG language... how do other programs relate to Vwx internal/user origins? Can we ask for a 'site centre co-ordinate' and then use that to set up our origins prior to import? Is this the correct language? How would we deal with it/word the question to get the answer we need, if they haven't worked from the centre and instead have defined a 0,0 point relating to the building corner or similar?

Is there any information we should be asking for that these questions don't cover?!

@Katarina Ollikainen, hoping you might be able to help please, especially re. origins and how to ask the question correctly to get the information needed?

Edited by Amanda McDermott

I try and keep drawing data requasts short as possible as many people won't/don't read a long list!

I always tell data senders what format I can work up to, e.g.:

'I can open .dwg / dxf formats  up to version 2018'

Certainly knowing what it came out of (& its version) is very useful,

and telling them what you have (& its version). I have only seen one vwx file from another designer since 2010.

Old (say ten years) vectorworks files can be a real mess ime, using one (the one above) at moment and would have been faster to redraw from survey and asbuilt heights.

To cover the likelihood my request will get passed around the company I put in why I want a file eg:

"This is related to XYZ audit that ABC have asked me to carry out."

ALWAYS say the extent you want as s'times people send me just the house when I want the boundary.

Ask if they have any levels / heights? Also if infrastructure is important ask about this, as many files leave it out ime as a landscape architect.

Georef is poorly understood by almost everyone - and can overly complicate a request, I normally import into QGIS and sort that bit out and then into VW.

• Like 1
On 11/5/2023 at 8:42 AM, Tom W. said:

This is really useful + interesting info @Katarina Ollikainen yes please do the video on the topic when the time comes! Thanks

Seconded, yes please to the video, they are always so helpful!

I like the idea of adding in the request for a full DWG and a reduced one - we sometimes get files with far too much detail about indoor furniture etc... I'll edit my original post and add it in!

Won't let me edit the original post, here's an updated list of q's:

Points of general understanding:

1. Will we receive the file once, or will it be a continuous back-and-forth process? How many data exchanges are we expecting - how often will we receive/you require updated files?
  2. What is the purpose of the information we’ll be exchanging?
  3. How will our information be used, what is the important information to include?

Specifics:

4. What software and version are you using? (Also note the version we are using for their ref)

5. What are the DWG drawing units?

6. What is the type of information we’ll be exchanging? Will it be 2D drawings and/or 3D models?

7.  Is the file georeferenced and, if so, which coordinate reference system is being used?

8. Please can you send two copies of the file: a full detail DWG, and one that contains only the critical information and omits unnecessary hatches/interior detail such as furniture.