Inventory & Equipment List - Missing Functions?!

Leppi

Hi,

i just started to work with Vectorworks 2024 (German Edition), to figure out the new functions and to update our company custom symbol libraries.

My intention was to add virtual parts to some of our symbol e.g. "Eurortruss Pin" for all the Trusses, so the pins are included in the Count.

The problem is, the information for the virtual parts are not saved in the symbols. Is there a way to save these informations direct in den symbol definition?

image.png.b213655e073b89e5886d7ac79f192608.png

The next problem is, when I create the virtual part, an insert another Truss Type for example Slick/CAMCO Truss, the same Virtual Part is shown in the symbol. For Slick Trusses i need another typ of Pins, so I don't want to show the EURO Pin. What's the solution for that?

image.png.789a209c65839417ac4c33cc9755ea32.png

Best regards,

Leppi

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
22 hours ago, Leppi said:

The problem is, the information for the virtual parts are not saved in the symbols. Is there a way to save these informations direct in den symbol definition?

When working on a drawing, virtual parts are saved per file and will remain attached to the objects within that file. To make sure that you have access to the pins you need, it is recommended that you add them as needed and save the file as a template. 

Alternatively, you can add the pins to the truss symbols and save the file as a favorite. This allows you to copy and paste the symbol into a new file easily. When you do this, the pins should come from your favorite file to your working file.

22 hours ago, Leppi said:

Slick Trusses i need another typ of Pins, so I don't want to show the EURO Pin. What's the solution for that?

Virtual parts are attached to the entire collection of particular object types within a drawing. This means that all the truss in the drawing will receive the same list of virtual parts. 

To address this, it's recommended that you add all the virtual parts with a default quantity of zero to all the various truss you are using. Then, select all of one type of truss and change the appropriate pin type quantity to 4. Repeat this process for the other type of truss as well. 

When you create reports, the virtual parts with zeros do not appear in the worksheets, so you can be sure that your report accurately reflects the parts you actually used.

Hi Scott,

thanks for the reply.

55 minutes ago, Scott C. Parker said:

Alternatively, you can add the pins to the truss symbols and save the file as a favorite. This allows you to copy and paste the symbol into a new file easily. When you do this, the pins should come from your favorite file to your working file.

We have a favorite file for our rigging & truss symbols. The informations don't come to the working file, when I take them from the favorite file (from the library). If this will work it would be fine. We're about 60 people working with Vectorworks, so a simple workaround is necessary. Open the favorite file and copy&paste is not an option.

1 hour ago, Scott C. Parker said:

Virtual parts are attached to the entire collection of particular object types within a drawing. This means that all the truss in the drawing will receive the same list of virtual parts. 

To address this, it's recommended that you add all the virtual parts with a default quantity of zero to all the various truss you are using. Then, select all of one type of truss and change the appropriate pin type quantity to 4. Repeat this process for the other type of truss as well. 

When you create reports, the virtual parts with zeros do not appear in the worksheets, so you can be sure that your report accurately reflects the parts you actually used.

With this I can work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 3:45 PM, Scott C. Parker said:

Oh, I completely understand. This is on our list of requested enhancements.
Until then, I suggest the first workflow of adding the truss to your shared template files. 
Best, Scott 

Exact same problem - I will stop searching now what I am missing... It is only stored to the drawn items, correct? Not to ones in the resource manager.

We always start a drawing from the resource manager, so it would be good to have the v-parts etc. directly attached to the symbols, f.e. with records. Easy to fill data and the handling is well known (like with custom instruments, trusses)

Hope to see this update soon - equipment lists could be kind of a game changer.

Best, Rob

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob87 said:

. It is only stored to the drawn items, correct? Not to ones in the resource manager.

Correct. The info about parts is attached to items once they are in the drawing itself.
This doesn't preclude anyone from adding a custom counting record to their symbols, which can then be reported using worksheets. The added parts via records are not currently seen by the inventory system.

2 hours ago, Peter Telleman said:

Are there plans to include that in the symbol for use in the resource manager?

It's on our list of wishes. No ETA on the horizon, though. The issue is that Virtual Parts are assigned to the entire type of objects, not the symbols themselves. We're keeping this in mind as the tool is further developed. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...