Question to Device Builder

bjoerka

I am new to CC. Formerly used to draw my schematics and rack layouts with Stardraw .-)

I am trying to generate new devices with the device builder.

Here it is an extender for video.

Are there any settings i don´t know to get the connectors inside a device distributed with more space?

I can change the layout when the device is placed in the drawing, but when i place another instance with the device builder the layout is as narrow as it was inside the device builder...

Left image is what is generated by the device builder, right image what i like to have it look like

Bildschirmfoto2023-10-28um17_49_42.thumb.png.1afdcc5c20f6a03361df050b6ba85d25.png 

Edited by bjoerka

Looks like it could be a grid scale issue. Open a copy of the standard ConnectCAD template and check the grid sizes in the grid snap settings. Whatever they are, match that config in your file. I think it's 4 x 4 snap and 16 x 16 reference, from memory.

I'd also check the design layer scale is 1:1.

• Like 1

Thanks for the hint.

I checked the CC template and there, for metric templates, the defaults are 4*4 and 16*16.

But these are the same as in my template.

So i changed it to in my template to 8*8 and 16*16 and then the spacings looks much better!

Bildschirmfoto2023-10-28um22_02_36.thumb.png.be5db911017abd6ca289c42312cb546e.png

Edited by bjoerka
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 10/28/2023 at 11:02 PM, bjoerka said:

Thanks for the hint.

I checked the CC template and there, for metric templates, the defaults are 4*4 and 16*16.

But these are the same as in my template.

So i changed it to in my template to 8*8 and 16*16 and then the spacings looks much better!

Bildschirmfoto2023-10-28um22_02_36.thumb.png.be5db911017abd6ca289c42312cb546e.png

Hello @bjoerka,

Can you please attach the file with 4x4 grid scale set so that I can see why it is not creating devices as expected? It would be better not to change your snap grid just to fix this issue as it might cause other scaling issues in the future.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov i send you the file directly per pm.

Another thing that i came across is a misfunction in the Make/Model dialog.

The "Lightware_Test_Extender" was created making a new Model. In the upcoming dialog i have chosen Lightware as manufacturer and category set to "Extender Video".

After the device is drawn in the layout, in the OIP Make is stated to "NovaStar" and Model "MCTCTTL4K"

This is not what it is supposed to generate, right?

See the screenshot.

Bildschirmfoto2023-10-30um09_10_09.thumb.png.9e0329dae2d92f775524ad3f89ab84c4.png

Edited by bjoerka

I just looked in the settings for CC...

There the settings for Circuit label Offset were set to 1 by 1.

I changed these and then the device builder draws the spacing for the connectors in the right way.

I formerly changed only the snapping grid directly in the snapping settings...

A little bit confusing but now it works .-)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @bjoerka,

It seems like your symbols are scaled, which means that when you first used the ConnectCAD tools you were with a different Snap Grid settings and that is why the symbols were imported to be scaled to match this snap grid. You can fix this by deleting the big symbols completely and then reimporting them moving the device. For example, try deleting the symbols in the Symbol Parts dialog and then resetting the device. You will see that then the graphics will be smaller and correctly distributed.

To sum up, it is not recommended to change the snap grid settings in the middle of the project, because then you will have such scaling problems that you will have to fix.

Let me know if this helps.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2