Cannot join wall to pillar. How to learn new features?

In v2020, joining wall to pillar was easy. Now in v2024 it is not possible.

Worst is just trying to find online help or documentation to learn about new features. Already tried Vectorworks Help, searching these forums, even general Google search.

I've added Unified View toggle button in the View Bar. I realize there's something different where Unified View ON (or is it OFF? whatever is the blue indicator) shows the pillar object, whereas the other toggle makes it disappear. Neither allows join.

Furthermore, just testing in a blank new untitled drawing is another pain the ass — even the Unified View toggle button is gone!

This is frustrating.

You are correct. You don't seem to be able to join a Wall to a Pillar in VW2024. It works in VW2023.

Unified View has been a legacy feature since VW2022 I think. But if you need to use it, turning it off shouldn't make the Pillar disappear in Top/Plan... So something strange going on... You should file a bug. And perhaps work in VW2023.

8 hours ago, KenAB94662 said:

Furthermore, just testing in a blank new untitled drawing is another pain the ass — even the Unified View toggle button is gone!

The Screen Plane + Unified View buttons in the View Bar are only present when Legacy 2D Features is enabled in the Document Preferences. They are disabled by default which is why you didn't have the buttons in the new blank file. In the earlier file they must have been enabled because it was an older file that contained screen plane objects which you opened up in VW2024.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

It's bizarre. If you draw the Wall + leave a gap between it + the Pillar, then use the Wall Join Tool to join them, you have to click on the Wall then the Pillar then the Pillar again + then the Wall + THEN they will join!!!

The necessary gap was already a peculiar behavior in v2020 (and maybe earlier I forget). But now, it's not even allowing click on the pillar. No can do.

1 minute ago, KenAB94662 said:

The necessary gap was already a peculiar behavior in v2020 (and maybe earlier I forget). But now, it's not even allowing click on the pillar. No can do.

Even when you try my steps?

• Click on Wall
  • Click on Pillar
  • Click on Pillar again
  • Click on Wall again
5 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Do you have VW2023? It is very early days for VW2024. SP1 only came out a few hours ago. I have not started any projects in it or moved any over. I am dipping in + out but using VW2023 for all my 'proper' work still.

OK. Thanks for the alert on SP1. I got suckered into the paying the promotion.

5 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Even when you try my steps?

• Click on Wall
  • Click on Pillar
  • Click on Pillar again
  • Click on Wall again

Well, indeed something does happen, and it's slightly better — after disregarding the ominous warning beep, the multiple back-n-forth clicks did close the gap. But it still left a seam.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Try this one:

https://www3.vectorworks.net/vectorworks-bug-report

Plus we can also ask @Matt Panzer if he's aware that you can't join a Wall to a Pillar in VW2024? Have just tried in SP1 + it's the same. Although I did notice that after multiple tries one after the other it did eventually work...

This does not look like a known issue.  Please do submit a bug (with a simple example file) via https://www3.vectorworks.net/vectorworks-bug-report