Origin of the model, origin of the reference axis

Hi  again@rDesign, thank you for your help today.

13 minutes ago, rDesign said:

Vw2024 Help File: Setting the User Origin

This is what I do, but this is the Z-axis, and on the help link, we just have information about the (x,y).

Solution:

Click on the Origin Icon, and this User Origin Pop-up open. 

I select "set User Origin to Internal Origin", and this solves the problem.
image.thumb.png.73d35b418269bb13fc6e2ce507be0db9.png

BUT:
This Pop-up just talk about the X and Y axes...like the link you sent to me.
Do you know how we can change the Z? And how is the possibility that the Z-axis was changed?

7 minutes ago, Cristiano Alves said:

Hi  again@rDesign, thank you for your help today.

This is what I do, but this is the Z-axis, and on the help link, we just have information about the (x,y).

Solution:

Click on the Origin Icon, and this User Origin Pop-up open. 

I select "set User Origin to Internal Origin", and this solves the problem.
image.thumb.png.73d35b418269bb13fc6e2ce507be0db9.png

BUT:
This Pop-up just talk about the X and Y axes...like the link you sent to me.
Do you know how we can change the Z? And how is the possibility that the Z-axis was changed?

There is a discussion about this elsewhere. The rulers on the screen really only represent the X + Y axes. If your User Origin + Internal Origin are coincident then in Front/Back/Left/Right view then the Y axis will appear to show the Z coordinates but as soon as your User Origin is moved away from the Internal Origin (as happened in your case) you see what the Y axis is really representing which is the position of the Internal Origin relative to 0 in plan. Really, the rulers should automatically turn off in all 3D views apart from Top because they are only actually relevant to plan views. They used to be present all the time then in VW2022 or VW2021 they turned them off in iso views but kept them on in ortho views.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

There is a discussion about this elsewhere. The rulers on the screen really only represent the X + Y axes. If your User Origin + Internal Origin are coincident then in Front/Back/Left/Right view then the Y axis will appear to show the Z coordinates but as soon as your User Origin is moved away from the Internal Origin (as happened in your case) you see what the Y axis is really representing which is the position of the Internal Origin relative to 0 in plan. Really, the rulers should automatically turn off in all 3D views apart from Top because they are only actually relevant to plan views. They used to be present all the time then in VW2022 or VW2021 they turned them off in iso views but kept them on in ortho views.

Correct,
However, if you have the "Front View", is good to have the rulers, because you can move something in the Z-axis.
My printscreen is in front view like the next image, and the rulers are okay and are good to stay where because I can understand the base and higher of the models (for example).
image.thumb.png.0db0ec7a439438c690693a35a47246c9.png

12 minutes ago, Cristiano Alves said:

My printscreen is in front view like the next image, and the rulers are okay and are good to stay where because I can understand the base and higher of the models (for example).

Yes but because the 'Z axis' is actually the Y axis it only works if your User Origin is coincident with the Internal Origin. I am mostly working in georeferenced files so my User Origin is hundreds of miles away, in which case seeing the Y axis in Front, etc views is counterproductive. But I get where you're coming from, I just wanted to explain the anomaly.

• Like 2