Custom Selection please show me where my symbols are?

Hi Bruce.

I don't know how to use the custom selection tool to find the item but you can instead use a worksheet to find them. You use a similar process to set the criteria for the custom selection tool as you do for the worksheet. Once you have the worksheet you can select a line item and select it in your drawing file. Attached is one I use all the time along with another one that simply lists all objects in a class which can be used in a similar way. There are some instructions in the worksheet itself if you are not familiar with how worksheets work.

It's important that the columns aren't summarized otherwise you can't select a line item in your file.

HTH

Symbol locator.vwx

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Boh said:

Hi Bruce.

I don't know how to use the custom selection tool to find the item but you can instead use a worksheet to find them. You use a similar process to set the criteria for the custom selection tool as you do for the worksheet. Once you have the worksheet you can select a line item and select it in your drawing file. Attached is one I use all the time along with another one that simply lists all objects in a class which can be used in a similar way. There are some instructions in the worksheet itself if you are not familiar with how worksheets work.

It's important that the columns aren't summarized otherwise you can't select a line item in your file.

HTH

Symbol locator.vwx 907.12 kB · 0 downloads

I see what you are suggesting. It's a good workaround. Too bad the Custom Selection command can't do it.

5 hours ago, Boh said:

Possibly your symbols were nested in groups or symbols or possibly on sheet layers or in viewport annotations. I can’t think of another reason why that shouldn’t work.

They are in groups, but still Vectorworks knows they are in the drawing, and for that reason I feel Vectorworks should be able to tell me where they are. Again, it's a wish list item at this point.

• Like 1