Data Visualization settings not saving when file closed

J. Wallace

I have a question for those more familiar with the data visualization tool. I have only used this a few times, but it seems like a very powerful tool.

In the example below, i printed out a pdf of a design sheet, which I finished up late yesterday. When I opened the file this morning, the file was as I expected it to be, except the data visualization effects were gone. When I click on the viewport and go under the data visualization tab, it does not list the settings I created the day before. Any help would be much appreciated.  Screenshots below show last evening's and this mornings results.

Data visualization.jpg

Data visualization1.jpg

Did you definitely save the file you were working on the day before? Have you definitely opened up the right version of the file in the morning? That is the only explanation I can think of for what you're describing. When you create a new Data Vis it is automatically saved in the current file. And I have never known a VP to 'loose' a Data Vis that has been applied to it.

One thing you can do is export a Data Vis to your user folder so that it's accessible from any file if they are settings you think you might use again (go to 'Manage Data Visualisations...' - not sure if different in VW2024 haven't checked yet). However this doesn't alter the fact that a Data Vis saved in your current file should still be there - like anything else in that file - when you close it + open it again, unless it wasn't saved...

Incidentally one other thing I have found - but not relevant in your case - is that a Data Vis saved in the user folder when brought into a new file often (always?) doesn't work immediately: you have to 'wake it up' by renaming it or editing it. I have never tested this properly to determine exactly what's going on in order to file a bug about it. Be interested to know (highjacking your post!) what others say. Have you mentioned this before @Mark Aceto? Perhaps it's just me missing something.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tom W. said:

Have you mentioned this before @Mark Aceto? Perhaps it's just me missing something.

I haven’t had this issue before (although I have had frustration with how the Data Manager saves / stores / manages Data Sets).

All of your questions / troubleshooting steps make sense. Users can even import Data Vis rules from other files. It’s pretty bulletproof.

Also wondering if it’s a Project sharing situation… Is there a VW backup file or a Time Machine backup that could be accessed? Is this 2024? Is it an Unstyled SLVP? Are the DV settings visible from the View Bar on a design layer? 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/30/2023 at 9:07 AM, Mark Aceto said:
On 9/30/2023 at 7:40 AM, Tom W. said:

Have you mentioned this before @Mark Aceto? Perhaps it's just me missing something.

I haven’t had this issue before

This is definitely a thing for me. Happens every time with Data Visualizations saved in my user folder. At first it looks like the data vis has taken but once the VP as finished updating it disappears (apart from the damned legend of course). I have to edit the DV + pretend to edit the criteria then come back to the VP + now it has taken.

6 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I have to edit the DV + pretend to edit the criteria then come back to the VP + now it has taken.

Having deja vu but this is a common workflow with one of my Data Manager mappings. I have to go through the motions of recreating the exact same function (character for character) the way VW wants me to (by picking from a list of pulldowns), and then it will work. Has been this way as long as I've had that mapping which is at least 3 releases.

Anyway, I'll report my bug if you report yours.

9 minutes ago, Mark Aceto said:

Having deja vu but this is a common workflow with one of my Data Manager mappings. I have to go through the motions of recreating the exact same function (character for character) the way VW wants me to (by picking from a list of pulldowns), and then it will work. Has been this way as long as I've had that mapping which is at least 3 releases.

Anyway, I'll report my bug if you report yours.

I've seen that too with the Data Manager but I don't use it enough to feel confident I know it's not something I've done...

And I'm still not sure whether the issue with Data Vis isn't down to me somehow either, given that no one else seems to have mentioned it.

Is there someone from VW we can ask on Forum before filing a bug? 

16 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Is there someone from VW we can ask on Forum before filing a bug? 

I would just submit it, and let them see if they can replicate it. Share the file you're having issues with, any screenshots, and be as descriptive as possible. It's a bit like taking your car to the mechanic because if it doesn't make that noise (they can't replicate it), it won't get fixed.

Quoting someone else (I keep this reminder as a template for submitting bugs), include:

• A sample file 
  • A screen video or screen shots
  • An itemized list explaining how to reproduce the bug
  • A description of how things should work — that is, clear criteria for how to know when the issue is resolved

For example, something like “draw a rectangle, press delete, see the warning” might seem obvious, but if there’s a test file with a rectangle and a screen shot of the warning, that will increase the speed with which it’s fixed.

Edited by Mark Aceto