Texture Tool does not place texture map on a single face

MGuilfoile

Question

In VW 2023 SP7, as was happening with SP4 and SP5, the Texture Tool places a texture map over the entire object rather than a single face. Others has said it works for them, but it does not work for me. Or it works very, very sporadically. This is on Windows 10. I have not tested it on my Mac version. Please see the images showing what happens. The image I'm showing as what should be mapped is missing its blue background, but I think you'll get the idea. It does not help to change the mapping type. The extrusion it is placed on was created from a 2D double-line polygon that was extruded. Of course, that should not matter. A face is a face. 

Thanks,

MHBrown

Game board after graphic.JPG

Game board before graphic.JPG

Game board image.JPG

13 answers to this question

I am using the tool correctly. It will generally put the map on a simple box as you have done. I tried to explain what I was placing it on. I drew a section view of the orange object with the double line polygon tool, creating a 1.5" thick object in the shape of what is shown in the orange object image. It is somewhat folded as you can see, but it clearly has single faces. Draw something like this and try to place the image on a single face. You have to reproduce the conditions EXACTLY as possible in any situation for it to be useful in troubleshooting. Use the double line polygon tool, draw something that is somewhat folded looking, extrude it, and try to place an image on a single wide face. I think the problem lies with the double line polygon tool not playing "ball" with this tool, but I could be doing something wrong, too (usually the case, actually).

Thanks!

MH Brown

In VW2024 (which is what I have open at the moment) it appears to work fine.

image.png.32837e93f9b05d7067f486f7496d0796.png

I selected your profile and extruded it 3'.  I then used the Apply to Face mode of the texture tool to texture the single face. I then used the Attribute Mapping tool to rotate and scale the texture (poorly) to fit the face.

I also opened 2023 and was able to perform the same steps with the same tools.

What are we doing differently?

• Like 1

That is odd. When I do a subtraction after applying a texture it ruins the mapping and I have to re-apply it. I upgraded to SP6 and 7 and that should have fixed it. Could it be that I'm on a Windows 10 machine and not a Mac? In general, Windows gives me far more problems than MacOS does. Otherwise, it seems like a problem limited to my files or installation. Maybe I'll give it a try on my MacBook Pro. I'm glad to see it works for others, but I have been having problems with it for a while.

MH Brown

Well, it works great on my MacBook Pro, running Monterey. I also notice that my VW SP7 Windows version is missing "Perimiter" mapping. Perhaps that is why I can't create a texture map that is as long as the perimeter of an extruded rounded rectangle and get it to fit smoothly. I seem to remember that if I did that it would work, such as making the label on a coffee can. I'd make a texture map as wide as the circumference of the can and as high s the can. Then it would map easily. I can't do that on the Windows version, but I'll try on the Mac.

Thanks for the help!

MH Brown

To respond to your previous comment, yes, the map is distorted and, as you say, that is to be expected...but it would be nice if it didn't. That's nitpicking, I suppose. I'd be happy to re-map it. That's pretty easy with the mapping tools at hand. What I really miss is the ability to map to single faces. It was a big time saver when it worked. Perhaps it stopped working when I had to switch to Windows (after using MiniCAD/VW since 1995 on Macs). I could have some sort of file conflict.

MH Brown

OK, I think I figured this out. The problem--with extrudes, anyway--seems to be consistent with the direction in which I extrude a 2D shape. If I want a 12" x 12" x 100" tall column, I can draw a 12x12 square and extrude it 100" from a plan view or I can draw a 12x100 rectangle and, facing it in elevation, extrude it 12". Either way, it's the same thing, right. Well, the evidence strongly suggests, no. The extrude created from the front using the 12x100 rectangle will not allow single face texture placement on two of the long faces. The other version, extruded in a plan view, works fine. I'll keep an eye on if this continues to happen. Needless to say, it shouldn't.

Thanks,

MH Brown

• Like 1

Does anyone else see this or other failures of the Texture tool applying a texture to a single face? For me, this tool is still unusable. I've found some other cases where it doesn't work. For example, the inside edge of a cylinder where I have punched a hole will not accept a texture with this tool. It seems to be broken in my version of VW, not my file. It happens on all of my files.

MH Brown

Edited by MGuilfoile