Graphical Legend - Getting Components names to create Slab/Wall schedules

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to obtain an automatic reading from the Wall/Slab - Components name so I could have an automatic populated Graphical Legend.

If i create a dynamic text and go to select IfcSlab - COBie_Component (only shows InstallationDate; WarrantyStartDate; TagNumber; AssetIdentifier) but these are all to be filled in the DATA tab in the OIP

On the https://developer.vectorworks.net/index.php/Worksheet_Functions it seems there's a way to obtain this name but I cannot seem to manage the right way to use it;
# return component name

ObjectData('component', 'Name') # core compoent

ObjectData('component', 'Name', 2) # component with index = 2

The idea that I was trying to do was this:

SCR-20230928-okbj.thumb.png.6830ea980daf04297655dcbed744ce9b.png

Any ideas? 

Or if anyone is doing this sort of Schedule how are you doing it?

1 minute ago, FBernardo said:

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for this I will try, the WS is for Wall Style I'm guessing? if it's for a slab would it be SS ?

No. WS is for worksheet. In a Data Tag or Graphic Legend, you can use worksheet functions if you place them between #WS_  and #. The formula above will work for walls, slabs + roofs. Not sure about hardscapes + landscape areas: you'd think so. I don't use any of the component functions anymore after moving to using Materials...

WS is for Worksheet. 

This is a use of Worksheet functions inside Data tags.  You can do almost any worksheet function you want in a data tag by wrapping the worksheet functions in #WS_  #

Inside the worksheet block you have to use all pure worksheet functions your can not mix and match worksheet and data tag formats inside the #WS_ block.

6 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

WS is for Worksheet. 

This is a use of Worksheet functions inside Data tags.  You can do almost any worksheet function you want in a data tag by wrapping the worksheet functions in #WS_  #

Inside the worksheet block you have to use all pure worksheet functions your can not mix and match worksheet and data tag formats inside the #WS_ block.

8 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

No. WS is for worksheet. In a Data Tag or Graphic Legend, you can use worksheet functions if you place them between #WS_  and #. The formula above will work for walls, slabs + roofs. Not sure about hardscapes + landscape areas: you'd think so. I don't use any of the component functions anymore after moving to using Materials...

Thanks it's working... 

12 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

You set all your slab/walls in materials now? And add all the information in the material settings? 

Would you be able to share an example?

Have a look at the resources in the VW libraries e.g.

Screenshot2023-09-28at17_16_47.thumb.png.206d939f342aa5d6cc0bf8caec42e5ad.png

Plus there are reformatted Materials reports you can play around with.

And if you look in the Worksheet Function Reference you will see there are loads of Material-based functions to choose from.

Yes I have created an extensive collection of my own Materials which reflect the specific products I am using. When used with Walls/Slabs/Roofs/etc you can very quickly + easily populate the model with those real world materials/products then report on them in worksheets, graphic legends + using Data Tags. Delete a Material from a file + select an alternative one to replace it with + at one fell swoop everything in the model will be updated. If you realise you have the K-value for a product wrong, just edit the Material resource + all walls, slabs, roofs which are using that Material will update to show the correct R-value. etc etc

11 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Have a look at the resources in the VW libraries e.g.

Screenshot2023-09-28at17_16_47.thumb.png.206d939f342aa5d6cc0bf8caec42e5ad.png

Plus there are reformatted Materials reports you can play around with.

And if you look in the Worksheet Function Reference you will see there are loads of Material-based functions to choose from.

Yes I have created an extensive collection of my own Materials which reflect the specific products I am using. When used with Walls/Slabs/Roofs/etc you can very quickly + easily populate the model with those real world materials/products then report on them in worksheets, graphic legends + using Data Tags. Delete a Material from a file + select an alternative one to replace it with + at one fell swoop everything in the model will be updated. If you realise you have the K-value for a product wrong, just edit the Material resource + all walls, slabs, roofs which are using that Material will update to show the correct R-value. etc etc

I need to give it a deeper look into this options, from what you're saying makes it easier to change. Thanks 🙂