Projector tool in Vision 2024

Great new feature with a long ways to go!!

Projectors in the list have "zoom" lenses but I don't see any parameter to adjust the "zoom.  Also we do need the ability to have a 0.35:1 lens option or a zoom  in that range (0.3~0.4:1) and it'd be great to have short throw zoom lens options in the generic section (0.64~0.77:1) 

I don't see a way to adjust the horizontal or vertical shift to match what projectors can do without having to rotate the projector on the X or Y axis which changes the keystone.

Using the four corner keystone seem to have a weird behavior since moving of of the corners seems to move the other three in 3D. 

Also out of curiosity, I'd like to know who picked the projectors in the dropdown list! This is a list of old dinosaurs that have mostly been discontinued for years and some are not even video projectors. We're in 2023 so please give us the current projectors on the market not a list of things you find on eBay! And why do we have a generic chinese projector out of all things!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Oaktown said:

Projectors in the list have "zoom" lenses but I don't see any parameter to adjust the "zoom.  Also we do need the ability to have a 0.35:1 lens option or a zoom  in that range (0.3~0.4:1) and it'd be great to have short throw zoom lens options in the generic section (0.64~0.77:1)

Zoom is controlled using by DMX, for all projectors channel 1 is the dimmer and channel 2 (where preseant ) is the zoom control

I don't see a way to adjust the horizontal or vertical shift to match what projectors can do without having to rotate the projector on the X or Y axis which changes the keystone.

Lens shift is a feature we had hoped to include at launch but it proved to be far more difficult to get right than anticipated and calculating it in real time has huge performance issues. Rather than release a feature that doesn't work correctly or realistically, it has been removed until a solution to the problems can be found. This is still on our dev teams to do list but will require sometime to impliment in a way that doesn't negatively affect previs performance.

Using the four corner keystone seem to have a weird behavior since moving of of the corners seems to move the other three in 3D. 

I'm not sure I understand what the issue here is that you are describing, can you provide more detail?

Also out of curiosity, I'd like to know who picked the projectors in the dropdown list! This is a list of old dinosaurs that have mostly been discontinued for years and some are not even video projectors

I'm not sure how the initial list of projector content was decided on but if you can provide a list of projectors you wish to have added to the library I will do my best to have them added to the content creation queue. Please DM any suggestions you have. Be aware though that we do have a content creation backlog so I can't provide a timeframe for how long it will take to have them added.

• Like 1

Thanks Jesse, 

Take a look at the screen recording to see how the 4-corner keystone has a strange behavior. Moving one corner should just adjust that corner and the other three should be static until adjusted but when you move a corner it makes the image move in 3D. 

I don't think I should be the one to make suggestions regarding what projectors are used these days because it really depends on where you work but I'm just surprised to see the selection of projectors in that list!  For instance both the Barco CLM 10K was discontinued in Oct 2011 which is nearly 12 years ago...!

I would personally prefer to have a better selection of generic projectors with typical zoom lens options and the ability to just hide the geometry of the generic projector so that I can use the actual projectors I've spec'ed in my project. 

• Like 2

So, I looked into this and it appears that there is an issue with the order of operations regarding Aspect Ratio and Four Corner Keystoning. The Aspect Ratio is getting applied after Four Corner Keystoning, but it needs to be the other way around to prevent the "3D movement" you are seeing.

The only workaround I'm aware of, for now, is to ensure Auto Aspect Ratio is not checked and that Aspect Ratio is set to 1.00 (ie; 1:1). I'll start looking into a fix in the code and keep everyone up to date here in this thread.

34 minutes ago, bcd said:

While fixing the Video Screen tool; Hide Screen in a VW2023 file is being turned off when the file is converted to VW2024

I mostly work on Vision code. But, I'll make sure to bring this up in my meetings.

20 minutes ago, Oaktown said:

Thanks @bbudzon but unfortunately, unchecking the Auto Aspect Ratio and with the Aspect Ratio set to 1.00 (1:1) yields the same results 😢 so I'll wait to hear back from you when this is fixed. 

That seems very odd, @Oaktown. Maybe you could upload your VSN for me to test with? In my tests, all 3 corners (the ones not being dragged) stay in place when aspect ratio is forced 1:1. Only when aspect ratio is not 1:1 does dragging one corner effect the others. See my videos below.

Broken:

Working:

Just now, Oaktown said:

@bbudzon I'm not sure what I did the first time around but I tested again and this time the other 3 corners stayed in place! 

How do you get the background to change to green in your keystoning window?

No worries! I'm glad it's working better for you.

There is an option called "Keystone Color". Most of the time, this should be black (0,0,0) or near black. But, when you are in the process of keystoning, I find it helpful to set it to a color such as green (0,255,0).

@bbudzon I was able to recreate the 4-corner keystoning issue in 3D.  So I created a new 1x1 NDI source with my content placed in it and I'm getting the same issue as if I was to use the Auto Aspect Ratio option but if I go back to my original NDI source which is sized 2x1 and uncheck the Auto Aspect Ratio option then it behave properly. 

A couple of other issues:

I'm also getting a repeat of the NDI source when my source is 1x1 so when I do the 4-corner keystone, i'm seeing the content multiple times

I have to select the source twice before it can be validated

On 9/16/2023 at 5:32 AM, Oaktown said:

@bbudzon I was able to recreate the 4-corner keystoning issue in 3D.  So I created a new 1x1 NDI source with my content placed in it and I'm getting the same issue as if I was to use the Auto Aspect Ratio option but if I go back to my original NDI source which is sized 2x1 and uncheck the Auto Aspect Ratio option then it behave properly. 

A couple of other issues:

I'm also getting a repeat of the NDI source when my source is 1x1 so when I do the 4-corner keystone, i'm seeing the content multiple times

I have to select the source twice before it can be validated

4-corner keystone with 1x1 NDI source.mov 257.9 MB · 1 download  

I was able to figure out what as going on with the aspect ratio and keystoning in the code. I'll work on getting the code reviewed.

I was unable, however, to reproduce any of the issues from the video I quoted. One thing I did notice was that the double dialog thing seems to be asking about "Demo.cap" and "demo.cap"; notice the difference in casing. I tried to get the double dialog by assigning "Demo" and then later "demo", but it did not break. And, it seems like no matter what I do I cannot get the odd tiling behavior you are seeing with NDI.

If you could attach your VWX/MVR/VSN files, I'll try to dig deeper.

@bbudzon I just sent you my files via DM. 

Here is a link to another screen grab to show that the 4-corner keystoning doing the odd tiling behavior. 

Another thing that's been annoying is that when the 4-corner keystone menu is open, it comes on top of the Vision window and if you click on the main window, the 4 corner keystone window disappears behind the main window and you can do anything until you move the Vision window to reveal the keystoning window.