simple descriptive geometry

Let me start with this picture (found on the net, descriptive geometry, highschool class):

acg_01.jpg.f0ee410041b508224466489b20f370c5.jpg

Quite simple to produce this with Vectorworks, for example by using the 'create multiple viewports' command,

You will get a sheet layer like this:

Untitled4.thumb.jpg.e13a61761ecbaaa0e449430e90345117.jpg

But what if you have a complex drawing and you want a result like this on a design layer ?:

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.b774e8a17681195a168d82c7a06cab1c.jpg

The problems that occur are:

- sheet layer viewports can not be copied to a design layer

- complex drawings produce 2d (hidden line) viewports with multiple overlaying lines

- creating a viewport on a design layer does not result in the desired polygons

So how to solve this (simple) task?

1.) create a sheetlayer viewport in hidden line rendering of the desired projection.

2.) export this viewport either as PDF or as dwg file

3.) re-import the pdf or dwg file to vectorworks.

4.) ungroup the pdf file or the dwg import results if needed

5.) use the purge command to delete overlaying lines

=> You will then get 2D or 3D lines or polys that show the projection of the solids on a design layer (depending on the choosen import-export options).

I am really wondering If I have overseen a more simple workflow. If not, I am wondering if this is really the way how to work with a cad programme in 2023.

Looking forward to any comments and/or solutions from the forum...  🙃

Edited by halfcoupler
  • Like 1

This is what I do:

• Use the Multiple Viewport Command to create the viewports
  • Convert the Sheet Layer Viewports to Groups. (ctrl K) Then you you will have the line geometry in groups. 
  • Rescale back to 1:1 and assign the groups back to a design layer. (You may need to assign the geometry inside them to the Layer Plane as well.....)
  • Arrange as you see fit.

Edited by markdd
  • Like 4

You could also run the Convert Copy to Polygons/Lines command from the actual view you want to see. It's not perfect in that it won't immediately align the geometry to the Screen unless you turn on the Legacy Screen Plane functionality.

However, it will at least skip the Viewport Steps and the rescaling but will mean that you have to run the command for every view you wish to see.

"Horses for courses" I guess...

• Like 2

Yes, what I want is very similar to the '2D definitions for symbols an plug in objects', exept that I want to do it with the whole drawing.

I even tried to make a whole drawing a symbol and create these views, but (of couse) it crashes with all the embeded symbols inside. You can use this feature for a simple chair or a table, but not for a whole drawing.

The background behind this is that I often have clients that want simple 2D projections (mostly top and sideview), of what I am doing, so they can import this into their autocad, archicad, or whatevercad system or vectorworks file.

Sending my clients these 'flattened polygon views' in correct dimensions skips almost all the work I have otherwise with dimensioning, commenting and publishing viewports/sheetlayers.

Convert Copy to Polygons/Lines command does not work with symbols....

Edited by halfcoupler