Trouble applying a wood look

2 hours ago, Darin K said:

I want to put a parquet floor onto a floor of a model, but I can't seem to make it work. I found a parquet in the Resource Manager, but no matter what I do, it doesn't show up. I feel like there is something very basic that I'm doing wrong

What tool did you use to model the floor, aka, what type of object is it listed as in the OIP?

generally, if you select your object and change it’s attributes to “byclass” you can use the class settings to control the graphics and textures.  If it it a complex object, you might have to use component settings.

33 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

What tool did you use to model the floor, aka, what type of object is it listed as in the OIP?

generally, if you select your object and change it’s attributes to “byclass” you can use the class settings to control the graphics and textures.  If it it a complex object, you might have to use component settings.

It's literally just a rectangle at this point

4 hours ago, Darin K said:

It's literally just a rectangle at this point

If you are working in 2D, you can apply an Image Fill, Tile Fill or Hatch Fill to your Rectangle. You can do this via the Attributes palette. A Texture, like Jeff says, can only be applied to a 3D object but you won't be able to see it in Top/Plan, only 3D views. What type of resource is the 'parquet' you found in the RM?

• Like 1
On 8/1/2023 at 1:20 AM, Tom W. said:

If you are working in 2D, you can apply an Image Fill, Tile Fill or Hatch Fill to your Rectangle. You can do this via the Attributes palette. A Texture, like Jeff says, can only be applied to a 3D object but you won't be able to see it in Top/Plan, only 3D views. What type of resource is the 'parquet' you found in the RM?

It looks to be a Renderworks Texture

When is 2D, 3D but not really, actually, completely 3D ?

Unfortunately, this is NOT obvious in the process, (if Darin K's geometry is ...) a Layer Plane  Rectangle, it looks 3D, edits Z as 3D and generally acts 3D... One should consider it to be 2D as VectorWorks does not like to Texture a Layer Plane  Rectangle.

As @Tom W. mentions above, Image map is the trick. or as @jeff prince states make it a real 3D item. 

We coach people to stay away from Layer Plane geometry to skip such aggravations as the @Darin K problem encountered above.

A rectangle, extruded to Zero will behave, not unlike a Layer Plane  Rectangle, except it will texture as a 3D item should.

What also creates frustration / aggravation is the How in applying the desired look Darin K is after.

Attributes Pallet for the Image on Layer Plane geometry

OIP / Render Tab for a Texture on 3D geometry.

Top this off with the fact that one is able to drag and drop a texture, from the Resource Manager, onto Layer Plane geometry and also apply an Image onto a 3D component in the Attributes Pallet. To the uninitiated, both worked except ... they only look like they worked.

See the attached

Peter

Image Map on a Layer Plane and an Extrude.pdf

3 minutes ago, Darin K said:

If I make the rectangle a 0" extrude, will I then be able to edit the size, cut out parts I don't want, etc.? Or do I need to make the shape exactly right first BEFORE applying the texture?

If you double-click on the Extrude (or Cmd-[ or right-click > Edit) it will take you back to the original Rectangle which you can edit before exiting + returning to the (resized) Extrude.

But remember that an Extrude will only display it's texture in 3D Views, not Top/Plan. So it all depends what your desired final outcome is.

3 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

If you double-click on the Extrude (or Cmd-[ or right-click > Edit) it will take you back to the original Rectangle which you can edit before exiting + returning to the (resized) Extrude.

But remember that an Extrude will only display it's texture in 3D Views, not Top/Plan. So it all depends what your desired final outcome is.

3D view is fine, actually.

I also found an Image file that would do the trick, but the scale is off (it's too tiny). Any way to change the scale of an image once it's applied to a shape?