Very Basic Resizing Question

You have two options:

1. In the OIP for the symbol there is a Scaling pulldown.  By default it's None.  Set it to Symmetric and enter a value greater than zero and less than one to make it smaller, greater than one to make it bigger.  Set it to Asymmetric to scale it differently along the X, Y, and Z axes.
  2. Double click the symbol in the drawing or right click on it in the resource manager and you can choose to edit the geometry in the 2D part or the 3D part.
  • Like 2

If the symbol instances (items on the drawing) will have varying scale . . .

Select a symbol instance on the drawing which needs adjustmentf.  In OIP, open the Scale menu and change from None to Symmetric (or Asymmetric) and enter scale factors as needed.  This does not affect other instances on the drawing, nor any future instances (ie does not affect the symbol definition)

Screenshot2023-07-11at4_22_24PM.png.166e53b42e6d7d9f76a0296baa59136f.png

Or  If the goal is to change all existing instances and future instances to the new conditions, edit the symbol definition . . .

Dbl click (or right click) a symbol instance on the drawing, or locate the symbol definition in the Resource Manager and right click the icon, then . . .

Edit the 3d and 2d geometry as needed. Exit the edit to apply the changes to the symbol definition (the thing in the RM) and to all existing and future instances of this symbol.

Annnd Michael beat me to it!

-B

• Like 2
1 hour ago, michaelk said:

You have two options:

1. In the OIP for the symbol there is a Scaling pulldown.  By default it's None.  Set it to Symmetric and enter a value greater than zero and less than one to make it smaller, greater than one to make it bigger.  Set it to Asymmetric to scale it differently along the X, Y, and Z axes.
  2. Double click the symbol in the drawing or right click on it in the resource manager and you can choose to edit the geometry in the 2D part or the 3D part.

Is scaling a factor, though (i.e. 80% of original size) or can I switch the width from 10'1" to 9'6"?

I'm not sure how it would know the dimension.  It's very possible that class visibility might have part of the symbol missing from view.

If we were using metric it would be so much easier.  Just divide one dimension by the other.  

So many things would be easier.

That's why I wrote it they way I did.  Let VW do the math.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, michaelk said:

I'm not sure how it would know the dimension.  It's very possible that class visibility might have part of the symbol missing from view.

If we were using metric it would be so much easier.  Just divide one dimension by the other.  

So many things would be easier.

That's why I wrote it they way I did.  Let VW do the math.

In my case, it's VERY simple geometry (it's an L-shaped pipe). It's just 7" too long on the X-axis

Here’s a way to handle: Select symbol instance on the drawing,Modify menu> Convert to group, edit the group to adjust pipe length. Exit the edit. Possible downside is that the object is now a group, no longer a symbol.

Above process does not affect the symbol definition. The symbol will insert future instances as symbols with pipe too long. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
Another way
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

Here’s a way to handle: Select symbol instance on the drawing,Modify menu> Convert to group, edit the group to adjust pipe length. Exit the edit. Possible downside is that the object is now a group, no longer a symbol.

Above process does not affect the symbol definition. The symbol will insert future instances as symbols with pipe too long. 

-B

Thanks, I will try it. It's a single-instance symbol (it's a unique piece of HVAC ducting) so no worry about future instances

1 hour ago, Benson Shaw said:

-B

I'm not sure this method will be suitable because in the case of a hybrid symbol it will result in one of the components being lost as you can only Command-K either the Top or the 3D component. @Darin K I would just edit the symbol definition: youve said it's only very simple geometry so it should only take a couple of secs.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Tom W. said:

it will result in one of the components being lost

Correct, as usual!  That’s another downside. 

@Darin K, a bit more info would help to define the problem and find a solution. How many different instances of the pipe are likely to occur? 

Will this symbol need a resize adjustment to many instances?

Or will every instance require same pipe length so that adjustment to pipe length in symbol definition is solution?

If former, another approach (total hassle) is to create a nested symbol, 3d only, of the assembly. Make the pipe and other components into separate hybrid symbols inside the container symbol definition. Ungroup any instance needing pipe resize and make asymmetric rescale to the pipe symbol instance. May need to rotate pipe to align x axis for the rescale, then unrotate (not testing here, just musing). Anyway, this could preserve the basic 2d elements. . . .But . . . Pipe 2d should also be adjusted to match new 3d length and prevent gaps or overlaps with adjacent objects.   

But are general purpose symbols or nested symbols actually offering an advantage in this workflow if the length varies in many instances? Might be better/faster to work with the source objects or hybrid symbols of the correctly sized objects. If only two or three different pipe lengths, then make a correctly sized symbol of each, or of each assembly. Symbol names indicate pipe lengths. 

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
If it’s not one thing, it’s another
  • Like 1

I think it is a one-off object that was converted into a hybrid symbol solely in order to give it a Top/Plan representation. Hybrid symbol was chosen over Auto Hybrid to have more control over the 2D representation. I guess the advantage of an auto hybrid is that if you do find you need to edit the size of the object you just need to edit the 3D component + the 2D will follow automatically whereas with a hybrid symbol you need to edit the 3D + 2D components separately. However in the grand scheme of things we're still only talking a few seconds...