Putting Hanging Position Labels into a Circle/Square/Hexagon

I'm starting to build my lighting grid, and my pipes are labeled 1-14 on one axis, and A-M on the other. I know how to use the OIP to position the hanging position label, but don't know how to insert that label into a shape to make it stand out better.

I have read that some people turn off the auto-label on the hanging position and create their own class just for labels. If I went that route, would it be simply drawing those "boxes" as 2D shapes and inserting text?

Thank you

You should investigate Data Tags. These are much more flexible and you can style them however you like. To make a Tag for a Hanging Position, then just select the Hanging Position and run the Create Data Tag command. If you select the Position Name as the field to show, then a Tag will be created and saved.

After that, you can edit it to style it and then add the Data Tag to any Hanging Position you like, and the correct Position name will be displayed.

They are a little bit of a learning curve if you have not used them before, but are definitely worth it.

1 hour ago, markdd said:

You should investigate Data Tags. These are much more flexible and you can style them however you like. To make a Tag for a Hanging Position, then just select the Hanging Position and run the Create Data Tag command. If you select the Position Name as the field to show, then a Tag will be created and saved.

After that, you can edit it to style it and then add the Data Tag to any Hanging Position you like, and the correct Position name will be displayed.

They are a little bit of a learning curve if you have not used them before, but are definitely worth it.

I will watch some videos on them, thank you!

11 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Persevere they are essential. Post a file if you want someone to help set it up

I'd love help, but would like to know how to do it myself. The video I watched was from VW2019, so half of what they showed isn't where the video shows (or doesn't work the same)

2 minutes ago, markdd said:

Try this video. It's not specifically about hanging positions, but it is about the Create Data Tag command. You should be able to get what you need. Sorry, But I am super busy now so I can't always respond when you need.

I have no expectations that anyone responds to me within any timeframe! I'm grateful for all the responses. I will check out the video, many thanks

Just draw the shape you want in the Data Tag Editor.  If you want the shape to resize based on the text it contains you will need to set the Constraints to keep the shape the distance you want from the text.

Take a look at these threads for more info.

There is another thread, (that I can't find right now) back in January where I explained how to make a "hex" shape around a variable length text block that would keep the "hex angle" on the ends rather than scaling the angle with the overall shape (TLDR: Use lines and make the end/angled lines fixed and only let the horizontal lines scale with the text). That one might help you also.

HTH

20 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

Just draw the shape you want in the Data Tag Editor.  If you want the shape to resize based on the text it contains you will need to set the Constraints to keep the shape the distance you want from the text.

Take a look at these threads for more info.

There is another thread, (that I can't find right now) back in January where I explained how to make a "hex" shape around a variable length text block that would keep the "hex angle" on the ends rather than scaling the angle with the overall shape (TLDR: Use lines and make the end/angled lines fixed and only let the horizontal lines scale with the text). That one might help you also.

HTH

I tried that, but the line and rectangle tools didn't do anything. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. 

I'll take a look at those threads.

EDIT: Got it to work. I wasn't zoomed out enough. Definitely takes some trial and error

Now my issue continues to be the reversal of data entry (i.e. I need to enter the position name in the tag data to change the hanging position, not the other way around)

Edited by Darin K