How to add a hatch to the Top/Plan View of a symbol?

I'm drawing a black-box theatre and am including a class for the HVAC (as it interrupts our grid and is a crucial piece of information for lighting designers).

I drew the ducting as an extruded rectangle which I then turned into a symbol (so I could set the Z height). 

Is there a way for me to give the HVAC symbols a hatch pattern when viewed in 2D (Top/Plan) view?

9 minutes ago, Darin K said:

I'm drawing a black-box theatre and am including a class for the HVAC (as it interrupts our grid and is a crucial piece of information for lighting designers).

I drew the ducting as an extruded rectangle which I then turned into a symbol (so I could set the Z height). 

Is there a way for me to give the HVAC symbols a hatch pattern when viewed in 2D (Top/Plan) view?

Make the HVAC symbols auto hybrids (or make 2D symbols for your HVAC. ITEMS) and set fill to your preferred hatch

14 minutes ago, mjm said:

Make the HVAC symbols auto hybrids (or make 2D symbols for your HVAC. ITEMS) and set fill to your preferred hatch

I converted it to auto hybrid and then it disappeared from my top/plan view entirely. I don't know what settings to check to bring it back

I would use a Hybrid Symbol rather than an Auto Hybrid. This was the other option that @mjm gave. You will have a lot more control over the 2D representation, both Top/Plan + other views. If you want, you can include different geometry in different classes + show different things at different times e.g. a schematic representation, a realistic representation, text, etc.

• Like 3

If you Ungroup the Auto-Hybrid in a 3D view it will return to being a 3D symbol. Then right-click on it + chose 'Edit 2D Components' to add Top/Plan geometry. In the Top view edit mode you can right-click + choose 'Generate 2D From 3D Component...'

• Like 4

While we're on the subject, I feel like simply drawing and placing this object is taking too many steps. I am using an extruded rectangle to represent an HVAC duct.

I draw the 2D shape

I extrude it

I make it into a symbol (because you can't set the Z height on an extruded object)

Place the symbol

Make it a hybrid symbol

Is this correct?

16 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Sounds good to me. Or you can draw the 2D shape, copy it, extrude it, paste in place, select extrude + 2D shape + create symbol: with both a 3D object + 2D object selected a Hybrid symbol will be created in one action.

That would require extruding it on the same plane as you want the 2D shape, yeah?

I did an experiment in a blank document. Drew a rectangle, copied it, extruded it, pasted the 2D on top, created a symbol, added hatch.

It's now doing the opposite of what I want; it's displaying the hatch in 3D views, but nothing in Top/Plan

image.thumb.png.8c1e96c7d449a9599d4622f820333d24.pngimage.thumb.png.5e34c5b26f226b3a956adde302ddc380.png

EDIT: This is what happened when I made it a hybrid symbol. Before I did that, it was showing hatch in both 2D and 3D views. I only want the hatch to display in Top/Plan view.

Edited by Darin K
3 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Does it say '2D/3D Symbol' in the OIP or '3D Symbol'? Sounds like the latter to me. The rectangle needs to be at Z=0 when you create the symbol not raised to the top of the extrude. Then a 2D/3D (hybrid) symbol will be created

Neither, it says "2 objects" (though I cannot move them independently)

30 minutes ago, Darin K said:

I figured it out! I have to make the extrude a 3D symbol first, then draw the 2D (with hatch) over the top, select both, and make them a symbol again

This isn't correct. See attached. I just selected both objects then went to Modify > Create Symbol... + it gives me a 2D/3D Symbol. You see the 2D geometry in Top/Plan view + the 3D geometry in 3D views.

Hatch Issue File_TW.vwx

4 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

This isn't correct. See attached. I just selected both objects then went to Modify > Create Symbol... + it gives me a 2D/3D Symbol. You see the 2D geometry in Top/Plan view + the 3D geometry in 3D views.

Hatch Issue File_TW.vwx

I see. It seems to be working now (though it gives me the circle/cross symbol that I have to click into the document before it converts).

Thank you for your help, I can finally move forward

1 minute ago, Darin K said:

(though it gives me the circle/cross symbol that I have to click into the document before it converts).

When you create a symbol you have two options for setting the insertion point:

Untitled.thumb.jpg.cc0ed4c1dafa378238e017e1fae1a1e8.jpg

'Next mouse click' allows you to place it precisely where you want + this is the option you used.

'3D Object Centre' (or 'Plan projection centre' if you are in a Top/Plan view) does it automatically + places it in the centre of the object.

Just to explain what the circle/cross symbol was!

• Like 1