Associative Dimensions and Parallel Constraints

I do a lot of renovation work. 

Part of the process is taking the field sketches and using those to model existing conditions.

In the software, and established workflow,  I was using before I could throw two parallel entities down, ether lines or walls, associate a dimension, and then change the dimension value to get the entities spaced properly.

I'm having some trouble doing that now. Attached is an example. When I associate a dimension in VW by picking the free end points, I don't get the parallel constraint behavior I need. How do I get that?

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

Screenshot(176).thumb.png.9d157d9fe92547ea35160c2007abc42d.png

Field Sketch Example.jpg

Untitled 2.vwx

12 minutes ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Ok just discovered the pop out.  It was set on constrain coincident.

12 minutes ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

At some point I guess I'm going to make my own tool palate just for these constraints. too difficult to activate the pop out. 

You can edit the toolset to make 'Constrain Horiz-Vertical' the parent if you want.

On 6/27/2023 at 8:32 AM, Tom W. said:

You can edit the toolset to make 'Constrain Horiz-Vertical' the parent if you want.

Yes, but I imagine using a variety of these quite a bit. I'm migrating from Revit and this functionality is an established part of my workflow.

Or perhaps, an important part of my established workflow...

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

1 hour ago, rudybeuc@gmail.com said:

Yes, but I imagine using a variety of these quite a bit. I'm migrating from Revit and this functionality is an established part of my workflow.

Or perhaps, an important part of my established workflow...

Thanks,

Rudy Beuc

In that case you can just have them as separate tools in the tool set, they don't all need to be children of a parent. Or add them to to your Smart Options Display if that's an easier way to access them.

1 hour ago, Pat Stanford said:

The Associative Constraints only work on 2D objects.

Although they do work on moving Walls in 3D via the Dim value, which was one of the examples in the orig post...

• Like 1

Walls (and Doors/Windows in walls) are a special case. Their Hybrid Nature has been engineered to work with Dimension object (that use the associations) to allow them to be reshaped in Top/Plan. Or even in a 3D view once the association has been made in Top/Plan.  But I have not been able to get an Associative Dimension to "take" on a wall in an isometric view.

But I can certainly be wrong about that.

• Like 1