Equipment Item Symbol - Not rendering in 2D Top/Plan View

Do you have different levels of detail set within the 2D component? For the individual bits of geometry in it, are any of these unticked?

image.png.69e2cb344d904afbfca4335dab9ff3fa.png

Interestingly, having just tried, selecting 'Use Symbol' for an Equipment Item seems to screw with the representation of the 2D component.

I've just made a few basic Equipment Item objects, then Use Symbol for a bunch of different lighting devices and a KS28 sub with the 2D component filled pink (just to test)

Correct at the top, the Equipment Item version at the bottom. Not sure why it can't just show the normal 2D symbol.

On the first, it's clearly taking the 2D because the 3D has the fixture in a different orientation, just missing some geometry. For the second, it's taking the 3D not the 2D. And the last it's clearly taking the 2D but wiping the colour.

image.thumb.png.c5e7cee9edafd05ad1d8848a2c2cb58d.png

Edited by spettitt

All of the low, medium, high detail levels are ticked.

Interestingly, if I remove the 3D component entirely and turn it into a 2D symbol, I can get it to render correctly, but the draw in front view box must be selected.

2D Symbol - Draw in Front View Selected

image.png.be5a9436328070621eae2dc9566b2abb.png

2D Symbol - Without draw in front view selected

image.png.56d4ba5fbc1356cfac1033f9f34f4a0e.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

This is all because of the mixed functionality of the equipment item to draw either in 3D or in front view. When we have selected to draw in front view the equipment item will just try to draw the symbol's front view. Otherwise, it will draw just the 3D parts of the symbol, as it expects to draw as 3D object.

Anyway, there are changes planned for the equipment item which will take care of this.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2
On 6/9/2023 at 7:45 AM, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Anyway, there are changes planned for the equipment item which will take care of this.

Thanks Nikolay. Can I add two wishlist requests to the pot for these upcoming changes please?

- Easy 'Replace' ability for Equipment Items - similar to the 'Replace Lighting Device' button in the Lighting Device OIP. At the moment, if I have 48 items of a given make/model placed in my drawing and it turns out that the supplier can't supply them and we swap to a different model, it's easy to point the Use Symbol towards different geometry, but the Make/Model/Power/Weight doesn't change and the user needs to be careful to update all these values to the new values.

In our workgroup, we have a library of pre-configured Equipment Items without Use Symbol selected (just bringing in all the right data/size/shape), to which the user can Use Symbol and include the exact geometry if they need/want to. So it would be lovely for them to have a button be able to 'Replace' the actual Equipment Item for another from the library, so that all the Make/Model/Power/Weight just changes straight over correctly.

- Ability for Data Vis to work reliably on Equipment Items in 2D and 3D. I know this is related to the above and will no doubt be solved as part of the changes, but I can see us using this loads in our sheets if we could - colouring GAs by project phase, by owner (us, legacy, by others), loudspeakers and houselights by control zone etc.

Thank you