Siting a House on the survey

I am sure this has been covered.

When siting a house on a lot- WHat is the best practice - Should I rotate the survey on a design layer? MAYBE, Obviously, I am not going to be creating my house on an angle on a design layer- Is this an instance when I use the rotate Plan function in the toolbar- What recommendations to fold typically do?

I typically will haveset up my design layers,- level 1 plan, level 1 floor, level 2 plan, etc, survey layer, etc

thanks

Andrew 

Edited by Andrew Mac
  • Like 1

I've found rotating the survey (or a referenced survey to avoid importing unneeded classes) on a design layer works best for me.  If needed, you can then rotate your sheet layer viewport of the site plan before adding any annotations, and then enter the annotation space for notes, etc.  That way, your site plan is oriented per industry standards (north up where I practice), and your floor plans will be orthogonal to the page.

• Like 3

In general...

Work in true north, use rotate view in design layers, place rotated viewports on sheet layers, and if working in 3D make use of working planes and rotate your clip cube.

Removes a lot of risk from the process if the building is aligned true north.

If you need to issue setting out files, it's easy.

If you rotate the plan in the design layer, you have to jump through some hoops to issue coordinated site data.  However, this approach is quite common and makes the file building-centric, and as @E|FA suggests a viewport of the site can be located and rotated and aligned to suit the building without having to move the building.

Screen orthogonal plans like this are de-riguer in revit so if close coordination with revit is also a priority, i.e. not just the ability to issue site coordinated data, then this should also be considered.

So, as always, it depends on the project.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, shorter said:

this approach is quite common and makes the file building-centric

Correct.  As an architect, I set up the file to be most convenient for the majority of my work.  For other types of practice a different setup is likely better.  Also, I don't use georeferencing or share my files with others, so I am free to move and rotate the survey without coordinate concerns.

Edited by E|FA
17 minutes ago, E|FA said:

I don't use georeferencing

Nor do we, other than to locate the origin in OS coordinates.

17 minutes ago, E|FA said:

or share my files with others

We do all the time so have to consider how others work, how they set up their models, and what happens to our data when introduced to their software.  Just saying the 'IFC looks ok to me' is not enough!

Edited by shorter