Hardscape slabs with independent surface levels

Hi all,

I was trying to create a Hardscape object, in the Slab mode, which is not a site modifier but has its own grades/ levels. I tried Aligned mode, but because of the predefined relationships this didn't work. I read in the Help article that some adjacent objects, rather than the internal Surface Modifiers, have priority in commanding slab's alignment. Apparently, slabs are aligned to bottom of walls only, whilst one may need the slab to stay at the same level as the top of wall - like in my case. Without additional settings/ options this may produce erroneous results - see below: 

image.thumb.png.d5190a14b18be5eec8ee828f3e5506a7.png

Below is the same problem done in SketchUp

image.thumb.png.09fa16d140a6abaa3081a3c2a5d2c577.png

The concrete slab has cross and long falls, is retained by a metal wall whilst the site is graded to fall gently away. I couldn't produce the same in VW. When using the Aligned mode, I would probably need to zoom in a lot and offset the walls a few mm to break the alignment. I have been faffing with this too long already. Perhaps this is because I am new to the Aligned mode, or because there is a better workflow for this. Or I am missing something in all the presets. Another option is that in the next update, all slabs will be able to have their internal Surface Modifiers - not only in the Aligned mode.

Is Draped mode more suitable to what I need to achieve? I imagine I would need to produce one set of modifiers to command the Hardscape surface and another one mor the groundworks around it.

Please let me know if you have any good tips on tackling something like that.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

In haste Michal, yes, look at Draped mode. With draped mode, you modify the site with grades or other modifiers to have the exact control you want. Then apply the hardscape to the surface and tell it to drape. It will also cut the site model if you wish for cut and fill calcs.

Just finding you the webinar we did on this recently...

• 5 months later...
On 5/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, Tamsin Slatter said:

In haste Michal, yes, look at Draped mode. With draped mode, you modify the site with grades or other modifiers to have the exact control you want. Then apply the hardscape to the surface and tell it to drape. It will also cut the site model if you wish for cut and fill calcs.

Just finding you the webinar we did on this recently...

In my situation, I just want a hardscape to drape on the existing site model.  Do you have to modify the site first with grades or other modifiers before draping a hardscape?  Or, can you simply drape a hardscape to an unmodified site model?

Edited by BobPDX