Dimensions: can't I have a fixed witness line length *and* gap?

line-weight

Question

I'd like to be able to set up my dimensions standards so that by default, when I draw the black dimension from point A to B, this is what I get:

293748515_Screenshot2023-04-23at11_18_45.jpg.0325d1a3786d6b92a5c19b3b4aa6018d.jpg

The red dimensions are what I'd like to be consistent. 7mm for the witness line length, 2mm for the gap. So the dimension line is offset by 9mm.

In the "dimension standards" options here is what I can set:

1561767430_Screenshot2023-04-23at11_27_33.jpg.ac64b926befc5a515dbe0a84ccd41305.jpg

I can set 7mm and 2mm for the relevant distances, but I have to choose whether or not to tick the "fixed witness line length" box. If I don't tick it, I can fix the gap at 2mm, but the witness line length of 7mm is greyed out, and I have to set this manually when I draw the dimension. If I do tick it, I can fix the witness line length at 7mm but I have to set the gap size manually when I draw the dimension.

Am I right to think I can't easily have a consistent value for both? Ideally I want to click on point A, then click on point B, and have the dimension appear as I want it, without manual fiddling around?

There's a "Dim Off" field in the dimension's OIP, and I can make things consistent by using this in conjunction with one of the other settings, but I have to do this individually for every dimension object, it seems.

• Like 1

1 answer to this question