Drawing Document Process

How many statuses are there for different documents? (Such as drawings\ specs\models\manuals\documents). Any help to understand the process for the status of the different docs would be helpful. Would it follow the status codes in the CDE?  

Hi, welcome to the forum.

We could do with a bit more info. Does your query relate to Vectorworks in any way (such as the title block tool) or is this more of a general query about drawing document process? Are you after info about BIM standards such as ISO 19650?

ISO 19650 status codes are as follows and can be used for any type of document:

Preliminary (non-contractual):

S1 - SUITABLE FOR COORDINATION ONLY

S2 - SUITABLE FOR INFORMATION ONLY

S3 - SUITABLE FOR REVIEW & COMMENT ONLY

S4 - SUITABLE FOR REVIEW AND AUTHORISATION BY THE LEAD APPOINTED PARTY

S5 - SUITABLE FOR REVIEW AND ACCEPTANCE BY THE APPOINTING PARTY

Contractural:

A1 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 1

A2 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 2

A3 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 3

A4 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 4

A5 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 5

In the UK the  A1, A2, A3, etc relate to the work stages in the RIBA Plan of Work. These can be slightly different in different countries.

This is from the UK Annex of ISO 19650:

status.thumb.png.4da895d1bf15622a0cbfc6f039145e0d.png

• Like 2
7 hours ago, shorter said:

Or do you mean:

DRAFT

WORK IN PROGRESS

INFORMATION

APPROVAL

TENDER

CONSTRUCTION

RECORD

COSTING

?

13 hours ago, Christiaan said:

Hi, welcome to the forum.

We could do with a bit more info. Does your query relate to Vectorworks in any way (such as the title block tool) or is this more of a general query about drawing document process? Are you after info about BIM standards such as ISO 19650?

ISO 19650 status codes are as follows and can be used for any type of document:

Preliminary (non-contractual):

S1 - SUITABLE FOR COORDINATION ONLY

S2 - SUITABLE FOR INFORMATION ONLY

S3 - SUITABLE FOR REVIEW & COMMENT ONLY

S4 - SUITABLE FOR REVIEW AND AUTHORISATION BY THE LEAD APPOINTED PARTY

S5 - SUITABLE FOR REVIEW AND ACCEPTANCE BY THE APPOINTING PARTY

Contractural:

A1 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 1

A2 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 2

A3 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 3

A4 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 4

A5 - AUTHORISED AND/OR ACCEPTED - STAGE 5

In the UK the  A1, A2, A3, etc relate to the work stages in the RIBA Plan of Work. These can be slightly different in different countries.

This is from the UK Annex of ISO 19650:

status.thumb.png.4da895d1bf15622a0cbfc6f039145e0d.png

Apologies, it was rather vague. I am looking at this from a general query about all document process. I am a little confused at the difference between the mentioned above and what Steven stated, the 

DRAFT

WORK IN PROGRESS

INFORMATION

APPROVAL

TENDER

CONSTRUCTION

RECORD

COSTING

What is the difference or the correlation. Thanks for the help! A little confusing on how it all works. 

None of these are Vectorworks specific. They are either company/industry or ISO standard for naming the different "phases" of a project.

If you are just doing this for your projects, you can use whatever names and whatever number of phases you need to properly handle your needs.

If you are working on a larger project as part of a team, then you need to ask the team leaders what phases and names they want used.

Please explain what you are actually trying to do as your clarification still is not clear enough 😉

On 4/6/2023 at 2:14 AM, Pat Stanford said:

None of these are Vectorworks specific. They are either company/industry or ISO standard for naming the different "phases" of a project.

If you are just doing this for your projects, you can use whatever names and whatever number of phases you need to properly handle your needs.

If you are working on a larger project as part of a team, then you need to ask the team leaders what phases and names they want used.

Please explain what you are actually trying to do as your clarification still is not clear enough 😉

Hi Pat, this is purely for my own studies for uni. One of our research questions reads as follows. "Are you aware of the document process status? How many statuses are there for different documents? (Such as drawings\ specs\models\manuals\documents)". The research I have been doing online just seems vague. I mean my basic question in a way is, do you need to follow the ISO 19650 status codes that can be used for any type of document or can you simply use the below? 

DRAFT

WORK IN PROGRESS

INFORMATION

APPROVAL

TENDER

CONSTRUCTION

RECORD

COSTING

Thank you for your help! 

On 4/7/2023 at 1:08 PM, Stel19 said:

Hi Pat, this is purely for my own studies for uni. One of our research questions reads as follows. "Are you aware of the document process status? How many statuses are there for different documents? (Such as drawings\ specs\models\manuals\documents)". The research I have been doing online just seems vague. I mean my basic question in a way is, do you need to follow the ISO 19650 status codes that can be used for any type of document or can you simply use the below? 

DRAFT

WORK IN PROGRESS

INFORMATION

APPROVAL

TENDER

CONSTRUCTION

RECORD

COSTING

Thank you for your help! 

Don't confuse 'Status' with 'Issued for'.  Status Code is a uniquely ISO19650 construct that bears no relation to the actual use of the document, i.e. for planning, or for approval.   For example, a drawing could be issued 'For Costing but the Status Code could be 'S2'.  'S2' alone is useless in defining the purpose of issue, so we woud normally back this up with a 'reason for issue' clearly noted on the drawing, if not in the revision/issue record too.

Note: the above is not an 'official' approach but the one that we adopt because of inadequacies in the status code system.  We have a similar issue with revision/issue numbers.  We would use P01, P02, for preliminary issue, and then T01, T02 for Tender Issue, and C01, C02, for construction issue.  Other than P0n, etc, the other two are not catered for under ISO19650.  If you are not careful it is possible to issue the same drawing twice with the same revision/issue number, but with different status codes!

Edited by shorter
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, shorter said:

Note: the above is not an 'official' approach but the one that we adopt because of inadequacies in the status code system.  We have a similar issue with revision/issue numbers.  We would use P01, P02, for preliminary issue, and then T01, T02 for Tender Issue, and C01, C02, for construction issue.  Other than P0n, etc, the other two are not catered for under ISO19650.  If you are not careful it is possible to issue the same drawing twice with the same revision/issue number, but with different status codes!

I've been using P0n and C0n as intended to differentiate between preliminary vs contractual for so long now that the idea of using C0n for construction feels very rebellious.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, Christiaan said:

I've been using P0n and C0n as intended to differentiate between preliminary vs contractual for so long now that the idea of using C0n for construction feels very rebellious.

Thanks both for your help I appreciate it a lot! Would you happen to have examples of what you mean on drawings? 

On 4/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, Christiaan said:

57 minutes ago, Stel19 said:

Thanks both for your help I appreciate it a lot! Would you happen to have examples of what you mean on drawings? 

P0n and S0n are best as separate fields on the sheet, independent of the drawing number.  They can be concatenated into the drawing number when exporting as PDF, or left as metadata or just visual on the sheet itself, depending on whether the darwing is uploaded to a CDE that does not permit the revision and status codes.

Our 'ISO19650 compliant sheet' has fields for each part of the ISO19650 drawing number, including status code and revision number.  We contatenate in the file export options when batch printing.

However, there is no need to do this if you don't want to, although if you don't then you cannot take full advantage of the title block manager's ability to edit en masse individual fields in the sheet.