Point Cloud Workflow 2D Drawings - Heritage Survey

HI All,

Have just started using point cloud E57 File and trying to extract 2D information . Under are the steps I have used and wonder if there is a more time efficient way to trace over a Section Viewport to create the 2D Plans and Sections . I would be grateful for any insights here. Specific Queries at end. 

STEPS USED TO CREATE 2D INTERNAL ELEVATIONS 

1. Import e57 file 

2. Isolate area using Clip Cube 

3. Create Section Viewport on Sheet Layer - Section VP very black at scale 1/50 - lots of dots merged - Shaded Rendering 

4. In Document Preferences for Sheet Layer increase DPI to 600 

5. Increase scale to 1 to 5 to see detail - detailed blurred / faint however 

6. Trace over visible detail in Edit Annotations + use site photos to pick up  more detail 

7. 'Block out' with filled polygons the furniture / paintings etc and place on separate layer to leave only architectural elements /structure visible 

8. On completion - reduce scale back to 1/50 on sheet layer to compose sheet. 

image.png.d082e4a87a30ce0697f28d996ad55cdf.png

1/50 SCALE - too dark to see detail 

image.png.03ad66ff007c3979b635417c0237c3e2.png

1/5 SCALE  too light almost to pick up detail outside of basic geometry 

QUERIES 

1. Is there a better way to to provide more visible detail than this process?

2. IS there a better / faster way to create accurate 2D tracings from a point cloud , other than blocking out extraneous detail ? 

3. IS there a resource somewhere in Vectorworks which goes through this process in detail - couldn't find one. ? 

4. Is it possible to separate / group structure and architectural elements from furniture etc? 

When I had to produce 2D plans/elevations/sections from a point cloud I did it all on the design layer using the clip cube + working planes + saved views.

I have to say I found it a thoroughly depressing experience. It was only because the architect I was doing it for only worked in 2D. I would have much rather created a 3D model from the point cloud + used that to generate the 2D drawings as I would normally do.

Or do you mean that you're seeking to keep the point cloud imagery in the drawing + superimposing drawn geometry over the top?

@Frank Hughes, I am attaching a previous post I made a month ago about similar issues. 

It looks like VW is quite limiting in the point-cloud workflow field..AutoCAD is superb when dealing with point-clouds, as it allows the architect to see well and draw over with precision.

In my very limited experience in VW, I think your methodology might be the best to work with what's available at them moment..