Project sharing - no collaboration

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Stefan B.,

Sorry for the late reply, just got the time to check your video. From what I see there are 2 checkout requests showing up:

1) When you created the truss -> hoists, data tags and trusses were required for checkout. I suppose that what happens is that when you insert the new truss a new system calculation is done which changes the hoists (or at least checks them out). And for the data tags they are probably tagging the hoists or trusses and that is why they get checked out too.

2) When you show a design layer -> This one is worse than the other one as layer visibility change should not usually require a check out

If you can send me a test file with which I can reproduce these issues I will be able to analyze it and see why this is happening. From there we can work on fixing the issues or explain why this is happening if it is working as expected.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

2 hours ago, TomWhiteLight said:

Putting all connected objects (lights and truss) on the same layer

This is a terrible idea, and a seismic regression of Vectorworks' Class & Layer foundations.

It's akin to telling VW Landscape users that the Site Model & Plants & Site Modifiers should be all on the same Layer, or VW Architect users that the Roof & Upper Story walls should be on the same Layer.

Edited by bcd
1 hour ago, bcd said:

This is a terrible idea, and a seismic regression of Vectorworks' Class & Layer foundations.

It's akin to telling VW Landscape users that the Site Model & Plants & Site Modifiers should be all on the same Layer, or VW Architect users that the Roof & Upper Story walls should be on the same Layer.

I agree, this wasn't a legitimate suggestion but merely to explain the desired workflow without being restricted by layers.

3 hours ago, _James said:

It's certainly possible that i've missed it, but I have never seen this method of working with project sharing described in any official Vectorworks help articles or project literature and it seems that i'm not alone. Therefore the method you describe seems to be a workaround to give better performance than the standard way of working with Project Sharing which has some issues, hence my fragility comment. If it wasn't susceptible to error, no workaround would be required.

Nonetheless I appreciate you engaging and trying to improve people's experience. We will give it a try in the office, although the first reaction from colleagues was "that seems a lot of effort".

If this is the "official" way to do it then I hope in future we just get rid of working files altogether and everyone opens the project file daily. Perhaps a working file is created in the background but there's no need for a user to manually back it up and delete it each time.

Thanks James.

I would be interested to hear your feedback on project sharing in 2024.