Rendorworks Camera without a lens

Andrew Cass

Question

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure what you mean by "without a lens," but a quick Google of the product shows that it has an equivalent focal length range of 25mm to 600mm, so set the Renderworks Camera to 35mm (default), switch the Aspect Ratio to 16:9, then click the "Fine Tune Camera View" button and enter a focal length such as 25 in appropriate field, then click OK (yes it's dumb that Focal Length isn't a field directly in the OIP).

This should give a good approximation of what the real camera will see. In regards to focal length you'll hit an upper limit of 196mm in Vectorworks, but I doubt you'll want to zoom in that much anyways.

Let us know if you meant something else.

1470467856_Screenshot2023-03-09at10_07_00AM.png.d0e6af47e009ee45a6df82a1df87e063.png

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 2

Well most PTZ cameras don't use as external lens so when I mean without a lens I mean "Without a lens". This is what my camera looks like in 3D.  Not really realistic looking with this extra lens shooting out the front for no reason.  

In this case I'm using it to show the camera positions

camera.png

• Like 1

Oh, you're not using a "Renderworks Camera" object you're using a "Video Camera" object. The Renderworks Camera tool is used to get accurate perspective views, and would allow you to get a view that matches what the PTZ camera would see. But it doesn't create any actual 3D geometry. The Video Camera tool on the other hand creates 3D geometry, and has a Renderworks Camera sort of embedded within the tool which allows you to also see the perspective camera view as well.

Since you're using the latter, I'm going to assume that the 3D portion of your PTZ camera is currently part of the Video Camera (i.e. selected in the OIP, not just a separate object). To get rid of the extra lens, one way would be to go into the Resource Manager, activate the current file, then delete the geometry out of the 2D and 3D components for camera lens symbol. Sort of a workaround since there's no way to uncheck it completely in the OIP. Then you'd still be left with the stand and camera body.

Let us know if this gets you where you want.

• Like 3
On 3/13/2023 at 4:09 PM, Cass said:

Thank you Andy B.  You are correct I was using the wrong terminology which is also why I wasn't finding my answer online anywhere.  Appreciate your help here and once I saw your answer I kinda slapped myself as not trying an obvious solution first.  

hey you can have a look here too https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/103707-ptz-pan-tilt-zoom-camera/#comment-452486