Finding the limits of Vectorworks and Twinmotion - Giant site models

Seems like it is about 55 miles x 55 miles today using 3 different VWX site models.

I'm building a context model to simulate distant mountain views.

In the image below, the center of the model is centered on Twinmotion's cylindrical background (to be removed).  The area behind that is another 25+ miles.

What's the largest site mode model you have made?

735716222_ScreenShot2023-03-01at20_52_54.thumb.png.dd884af22382ec1ca0d5bab2911c1854.png

• Like 4
3 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Seems like it is about 55 miles x 55 miles today using 3 different VWX site models.

I'm building a context model to simulate distant mountain views.

In the image below, the center of the model is centered on Twinmotion's cylindrical background (to be removed).  The area behind that is another 25+ miles.

What's the largest site mode model you have made?

735716222_ScreenShot2023-03-01at20_52_54.thumb.png.dd884af22382ec1ca0d5bab2911c1854.png

How does the no-geometry-further-than-5km-from-the-Internal-Origin rule affect things when a site model is that large...? Or is it different if it's a single large object spanning the entire distance rather than a small outlying object (in terms of the problems far-out-objects cause)? Actually rereading your post you say you have three site models?

Lovely animation by the way.

5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

How does the no-geometry-further-than-5km-from-the-Internal-Origin rule affect things when a site model is that large...? Or is it different if it's a single large object spanning the entire distance rather than a small outlying object (in terms of the problems far-out-objects cause)? Actually rereading your post you say you have three site models?

Lovely animation by the way.

That is exactly what I was interested in finding out.  I think as long as you are centered on the internal origin, the “5KM rule” doesn’t apply.  I’ve had far smaller site models misbehave in the past because they were far from the origin, yet this giant one seems to be well behaved.

Yes, I have 3 different site models in this file, (north, south, and a small high resolution one of my site).  Originally, I had two models, but my “clip it good” method for cutting out a portion of the overall site to hold my high res portion did not work on this particular model.

Glad you enjoyed the animation test.  Twinmotion kicked that out in under 5 minutes.

• Like 2

@Tom W. It would be nice to know what drives the site model clipping.  I made some adjustments to my boundary and suddenly my "clip it good" method worked again allowing me to have a high resolution site model for my area of interest and a low resolution one for the surrounding area.  You can see my thin cut into the site on the left side and the dense site model in the middle.  Making my cut 10' wide worked when 1' did not.  There must be some math rules dictating the behavior.  Would be nice to know what they are.

899127003_ScreenShot2023-03-02at18_25_02.thumb.png.f75d6f714d09401f426e39c14dfa2e89.png

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...