Renderworks Background using BOTH photo AND PANO images - how to edit & fine tune these

AdrianW

Question

Having searched the web and VSS for over an hour, I can not seem to find any text or video tutorials on the detail  of the above.  I can find the tutorial on the basic set up of selecting a photo image and setting up in resources etc, but I need a little more than this.

I am trying to apply a photo image of a scene / view that will be seen from the window of a proposed extension model I am doing.  Unfortunately after insertion, the image appears to be the wrong height or alignment in that the the view through the window looks  to below the horizon. 

The camera height and look-to heights are the same and so hopefully no issue there.  

I have tried changing the overall size of the render work image to see if it helps align the horizon better, but no luck.    I think if I could get the image to elevate to a new height, this might look better, but there seems to be no control over the positioning of the background image....or is there?

PANO

I've also played around with using the panoramic version/ option even though I have no pano photos suitable.  What I might have done would be to stitch the photos I need into a rough pano ( using phhotoshop) that might work, but again, I can't find the commands to fine tune the pano settings to the sphere, so that I can get the correct image to align with the window i.e. have window facing west align with the pano sphere such that the west view image appears in that window.

Any help welcomed on either or both of the above as I needs to prepare imagery for a client meeting ASAP this week and it does seem like it should be an easy fix if the information is out there?

Kind regards

Adrian Wishart

née gibson architects | Shetland | Scotland

MacBook Apple Pro Chip M1

Ventura 13.0.1

Vectorworks 2023 Fundamentals, Architect, Renderworks  SP3

Edited by AdrianW

5 answers to this question

I don't think you can move the renderworks background. You can edit some aspects of the background using the resource browser. But not the position. I think it just fills the *screen*

A friend of mine makes a giant cylinder, say 400m diameter, 100m tall, and applies a panoramic image to the inside face of the cylinder (he does this by making the image a render works texture in the normal manner). You can then control the texture in the normal manner. I haven't tried this method. I'd be interested to see if it works for you.

• Like 1

I tried the cylinder method - I spent 5-10 minutes on it.

This is using shaded rendering. I found the background image on the Internet. It is not a panoramic image.

Probably with a bit more work it would be acceptable.

To build the cylinder, draw a circle, I chose 100m diameter. Offset inward by 2m, then clip surface. (If you don't offset far enough ,you get "moire". Extrude this, then apply your texture. Muck around with scale and the attribute mapping tool.

To build the texture: in the resource browser, "create new render works texture". In the Color field, choose image, and load your image. Untick Cast, and Receive shadows so that your Heliodon will function.

Have fun 🙂

1230407263_Screenshot2023-02-21at3_25_45PM.thumb.jpg.9c636299d0c643c21cbbf5ab94985217.jpg

• Like 1
On 2/21/2023 at 2:36 AM, Mat Caird said:

I tried the cylinder method - I spent 5-10 minutes on it.

This is using shaded rendering. I found the background image on the Internet. It is not a panoramic image.

Probably with a bit more work it would be acceptable.

To build the cylinder, draw a circle, I chose 100m diameter. Offset inward by 2m, then clip surface. (If you don't offset far enough ,you get "moire". Extrude this, then apply your texture. Muck around with scale and the attribute mapping tool.

To build the texture: in the resource browser, "create new render works texture". In the Color field, choose image, and load your image. Untick Cast, and Receive shadows so that your Heliodon will function.

Have fun 🙂

1230407263_Screenshot2023-02-21at3_25_45PM.thumb.jpg.9c636299d0c643c21cbbf5ab94985217.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for all the suggestions and time you've spent!  After speaking to a VSS advisor we discovered that by altering / cropping the image pre insertion to VW, it can be made to insert at a more realistic horizon height.  I then made lots of backgrounds and activated each for each view, took off an image  and then onto the next and so on.  takes time but ok for a beginning and conveyed what I wanted.   A surrounding image would be better as you suggest which would save time as each window view would instantly show it actual view.   I'll try the cylinder method for sure!

• Like 2