DWG file import with multiple lines

Flair-Studio

Question

Hi,

Sorry I am sure this was already discussed somewhere: when importing a DWG drawing I discovered it is made up of multiple overlapping lines. The drawing is quite complex and I wouldn't like to redraw everything: is there a way to clean up the 2d work of the imported file from Vectorworks, is there a work around for that other than selecting lines one by one and deleting them?

Many thanks,

Federico

4 answers to this question

thanks, @Pat Stanford !  I'm glad that purge feature is there and works.

I discovered, at least sometimes, a reason for the coincident geometry.  This is some form of dwg drawing convention, or office convention, or individual drafter practice which acknowledges 3d or future 3d modeling from the geometry.  An example I encountered is lines defining plan view of a concrete curb.  The 3d profile includes many edges some of which stack in plan:

1. a top edge, eg next to the wear surface of the sidewalk, paired with the sub grade edge at full thickness of the curb.
  2. an edge at  top of vertical face of gutter, ie width of the curb. Paired with gutter edge at road pavement surface
  3. an edge at street paving surface level representing width of the gutter. Paired with a subgrade edge directly below at full depth of the curb.

So 6 lines, stacked in pairs, representing 3 different z values (or more if roadway crowning is represented): Top of Curb, Top of Gutter (or of roadway), subgrade Bottom of Curb.  These might be classed separately so that they can be isolated for deletion or view prefs.  They might also have z data in the class names or in attached data.

Not excusing this, because it is cluttering, annoying and can be confusing.  It's not even very helpful for site modeling - level walks, curbs, roads almost never occur.

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw
oops

It is quite possible that they are modeling (or at least using 3D objects (as we use doors/windows, etc.) in 3D but then exporting to a 2D file that is including the lines.

But so many different habits out there it is impossible to know what you are going to get from any individual user. If you are going to be working with the repeatedly it is probably worth having a conversation to figure out what the best way to transfer the data is. If this is a one time only thing, then jut grin and bear it.

• Like 3