Workgroup Libraries for Plugins/Tools

Hamish

Question

Howdy!

I have some libraries added in through a workgroup, which show up in the resource browser no issue.

However if im using a plugin tool (Example being Lighting Device) the workgroup files dont appear in the tools resource browser.

So to use any symbol from the WG Libraries i have to import it into the working file to find and use for a tools symbol

See screen shot show showing "Select a Lighting Symbol" dropdown with no workgroup libraries next to Resource Manager show that there are Workgroup libraries

workgroup example.jpg

5 answers to this question

In order for the objects to show up in the insertion tool pull down, the VW file that contains them has to be in the correct folder path. This path can be in the Application Folder, User Folder, or Workgroup folder.

The path/folder location for Lighting Devices is:

App_or_User_or_WG/Libraries/Entertainment/Lighting Instruments

If you like to keep multiple types of objects in a single VW folder, you can put an alias/shortcut in the appropriate folder and the objects will still be found.

I believe you have to restart VW after putting a file into the Libraries path to get the files recognizes, but the Refresh Libraries command from the gear menu in the Resource Browser may do that also.

HTH.  Ask again if you need more help.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2023 at 1:59 AM, Pat Stanford said:

The path/folder location for Lighting Devices is:

App_or_User_or_WG/Libraries/Entertainment/Lighting Instruments

Hello @Pat Stanford unfortunatly when I create a workgroup folder as explain in manual :https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Workgroup/Sharing_custom_content_using_workgroup_folders.htm?rhsearch=workgroups&rhhlterm=workgroup

it doesn't create the Lighting Instruments Folder, as you can see in the picture below 

image.png.666c4d7d39b7abaddf60d2e6a3b62713.png

But the folders exist in the user library 

image.png.4b9a07be33c853f2363436aa9b75d6d7.png

So i f i understood well the manual, we don't have to follow that method https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/Workgroup/Sharing_custom_content_using_workgroup_folders.htm?rhsearch=workgroups&rhhlterm=workgroup

In V2023, because folders are automatically create ? And if no mistake or missing folder...