database import in lighting equipment

Ben3B

hello .

I've my lighting equipment 

everything looks good, next step is to import database from my rental software

I already did it last year with my connectcad device, but it looks more complicated with lighting equipment.

let me explain how i did it wit device:

I made a "bridge" from device user7 field and the first field of my dtb records who is the ID in rentman ( the rental software)

i build a report withe the user 7 column and all the field from the dtb records 

i manually put the the ID in each device in that report,this is cool because i can work both in the report and in the oip ... 

then i used database tool , with id as reference to put all info from rentman database to dtb records...

And then I click on add to library in the device oip ...

BUT I cant do that with lighting equipment...

so what is the good way ? i ve to work in ressource manager ? 

i d like to put the ID in the user field of lighting parameter in oip and then make a bridge to the id of dtb records and then use the database manager tool fo fill all other field.

is it possible or have I ( after attached the records) to right click on each lighting equipment and put yhe ID and then use database tool??

thanks , hope it make sens, it is a little bit confused in my head, so i prefer ask before lost too much time in test...

thanks !!!

OFF TOPIC Bizarre edit mode disappear from forum ?

Sorry I wrote that post yesterday in my bed, so here is some precision

"rentman" is our rent software https://rentman.io/fr

By "bridge" I mean link : the word or number put in user field 1 (for example) is also displayed in field 1 of my "RENTMAN" records, I use the ID from RENTMAN as key to import information from the "rentman" database to the "rentman" records 

In connectcad, I can put all my device on a layer , put a worksheet and edit all the field I need , ans at the and record the device in the ressource manager as a device definition , so each time i'll use that device , it comes with their attached records...

But with lighting equipment I cant record from the design layer to ressource manager ...

So if I'm not wrong I've to to it directly in ressource manager , the only way I've found is to attach record and edit it . 

Am I wrong? or is a faster, easier way ?

thanks !

Hello nobody can help ? 
So I continu testing and I've another problem, when I double click (so insert it as lighting equipment) on a lighting instrument who as a records attached in Ressource Manager, The record isn't in the file , 

But when I drag and drop it (so insert it as symbol) the record is in the file ...

I want to attach record to my lighting equipment in the ressource, and it stay attach when I insert it in drawing as lighting device ...

116366875_2023-01-1917-20-27.mkv

I think the term you are looking for is ODBC connection.

Hopefully Rentman has an ODBC option, or you can find a way to export/link from Rentman into something like MySQL that can then link to VW.

It is going to be a big learning curve on how to get the two databases to sync properly. This is a days or weeks long process, not a quick 1 hour fix.

I would start with the following thread and see if it helps.

Beginning of answer in manual :Alternatively, use the Data Manager to automatically attach record formats when specific symbol definitions and object types are used; see Using the Data Manager.https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/RecordsSchedules/Attaching_record_formats_to_symbols_objects_and_materials.htm#h1

For object and plugin, i'v to use datamanager ... 

I'll come back after some test ... but feel free to help me to win time 😉

17 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

I think the term you are looking for is ODBC connection.

Hopefully Rentman has an ODBC option, or you can find a way to export/link from Rentman into something like MySQL that can then link to VW.

It is going to be a big learning curve on how to get the two databases to sync properly. This is a days or weeks long process, not a quick 1 hour fix.

I would start with the following thread and see if it helps.

Hello thanks for answer,

My explanation and questions are certainly confuse ... sorry for that 

I know that is a big piece of work, I allready did it for all my connectcad device  last year 😉

To do that I export stuff from rentman to Excel sheet and make a connection with the ID as key column 🙂 

For now I'm not at that step, I just want to set up all my object for a futur synchronisation.

My first problem, is to be able to attach my personnal record called DDB_rentman to all my lightind device with (at the begining) only the ID field informed, and that record has to be imported each time I insert a personal lighting device .

it works with symbol but not with lighting device, I'm looking to database manager, I arrive to automatically attach the record to lighting device, but it's an empty one ...

So may can someone explain me how I can do it ? 

thanks 🙂

I doubt that the ODBC option will be worth the work.  It would seem that you need to make a library of red symbols that will end inserting as Lighting Devices with the record attached with the values saved when the red symbol was saved.  These can be pulled into your documents with the saved record values.  If you want to go over this process we can Zoom.  Since you are in Germany and I am in Los Angeles the Zoom meeting would happen in your late afternoon or evening.

This process would also allow you to have different libraries should you have different rental houses.  This is a process that can be used with most plug-in objects should you need.

Sam

sjones@autoplotvw.com

15 hours ago, Sam Jones said:

I doubt that the ODBC option will be worth the work.  It would seem that you need to make a library of red symbols that will end inserting as Lighting Devices with the record attached with the values saved when the red symbol was saved.  These can be pulled into your documents with the saved record values.  If you want to go over this process we can Zoom.  Since you are in Germany and I am in Los Angeles the Zoom meeting would happen in your late afternoon or evening.

This process would also allow you to have different libraries should you have different rental houses.  This is a process that can be used with most plug-in objects should you need.

Sam

sjones@autoplotvw.com

hello thanks for answer and your support proposition 🙂

I just give a look to my connectcad device library file 

And you are true, all my device are red symbol with records attached 

"

I understand now 🙂 this is a similar workflow as for connectcad device, but because there is no "save as symbol " (instead of in connectcad device OIP) or "save as plugin" button in the lighting device OIP I've to go to menu modify save as symbol and select convert to plugin object, as describe here ...

I tested it and it works pretty well

save as symbol button in connectcad device OIP 

image.png.5a0301943cc9c7fc2c803e3e209f469b.png

Record BDD of one connectcad device

image.png.90fececeafcb92405b23c5596b5ca666.png

Same record attached to a lighting device (after insertion from RM

image.png.480092f59354c47e1a6d69069d3ed92b.png

and here the lighting device as red in the ressource manager with it records attached 

image.png.a0d1bd03ff2c9d551270b4b16d91ec51.png

one more time, thanx @Sam Jones, I don't think that I need a zoom , (and I'm not German but french from Toulouse south of france 😉 )

🙂 

4 hours ago, Ben59 said:

(and I'm not German but french from Toulouse south of france 😉

Oops.  As an American I have an embarrassing lack of language skills.

I'm glad you have an understanding of the red symbol workflow.  If requires a large up front work, but when working with libraries it is conceptually easy and portable, and can yield great efficiency.