Landscape Arch Workflow

nca777

Hi everyone—back tinkering with VWL after a few years away. 

i see that VW engineers have added some very useful tools since I left off with VW such as contour editing and the landscape area tools. 

still, I am struggling to find a singular, relatively standardized, linear work flow for a typical landscape architecture project.

For example, a typical project for us almost always begins with a professional site survey delivered in .dwg format with elecated contours and ‘flat’ site data such as existing sidewalks, building outlines, parking, utilities, etc. we almost always work with an architectural plan and 3d model which changes throughout the life of the project. 

Our typical design scope includes design of the entire site to a detailed level including layout of roads, parking, sidewalks and terraces, steps, walls, and planting.

we like to develop 3d models for design and presentation purposes. We also need to deliver a detailed grading plan to civil engineers.

i’ve read recently where folks here have identified some workarounds for site modeling such as use of the landscape area tools. I have also enjoyed watching and reading tony kostreski’s tutorials.

However, after all of the individual learning I am still fairly confused about how a typical professional landscape architecture project as described above is put together in VW from concept to modeling to documentation.

can anyone recommend a good, comprehensive, and RELEVANT workflow tutorial or trainer? 

I now run a very busy 6 person studio and would very much like to find a way to get our office fully transitioned to a bim platform asap, but reluctant to commit once again due to the lack of clear understanding of the platforms ability to do what we need and how to do it.

any help or advice is appreciated.

thanks

12 hours ago, nca777 said:

still, I am struggling to find a singular, relatively standardized, linear work flow for a typical landscape architecture project.

it doesn’t exist within the industry or software.  Even amongst VWX employees and trainers, you will find different recommendations.  Same applies to Revit, AutoCAD, etc.  you have to make your own based on your project and use case or hire a consultant to do it using clearly defined objectives you hope to achieve.

12 hours ago, nca777 said:

However, after all of the individual learning I am still fairly confused about how a typical professional landscape architecture project as described above is put together in VW from concept to modeling to documentation.

can anyone recommend a good, comprehensive, and RELEVANT workflow tutorial or trainer? 

I now run a very busy 6 person studio and would very much like to find a way to get our office fully transitioned to a bim platform asap, but reluctant to commit once again due to the lack of clear understanding of the platforms ability to do what we need and how to do it.

I wonder if you should concentrate on “running” the studio and delegating BIM implementation to a member of the staff  with the necessary technical skills or an outside consultant.  It’s not easy or fast making the transition, especially when starting from zero.  The fact that you desire this is a big red flag.

Slow down, decide if you actually need BIM, state your desired outcomes, read the BIM transition white papers, then choose a software.  Vectorworks might not be the right one, especially in regards to grading

If vectorworks is the right choice, have a consultant put together standards/workflow for you.  Get the staff on Vectorworks Uni and plan on everyone training 100+ hours.  Do a slow rollout for best results unless you have a very enthusiastic staff.

I'm on the architecture side, but found the VWU sample files to be useful in reverse engineering a workflow for my office (still in progress). Pay attention to the version year of the files, because things change... 

https://university.vectorworks.net/course/index.php?mycourses=0&tagfilter[category]=0&tagfilter[type]=content+type-9-sample+projects&tagfilter[difficulty]=0&mycourses=0&search=&langfilter[]=0#coursestab

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/page/view.php?id=3031

• Like 1

I have aided various different firms to VWL for years and with each change to the software there have been improvements. The one constant thread that keeps coming up is that you must not "tinker" but fully commit.

My clients range from large design firms to small shops that do mostly private residential work. In all these different instances these firms have experienced and changed their work flow and even quit and gone back to the "old" way of doing things or switching to Revit for projects with Architects and VWL for projects when they are the prime.

I would suggest, as @jeff prince has, to find someone in your office that can be a champion for the transition. Make the commitment don't get trapped by; "oh we are too busy", "this isn't a good time", mantra. You will never succeed with this approach.

As you may have surmised I do this as a consulting based service and would also be happy to discuss with you further how I might be able to help.